whole hog

carmen

Is a whole wild hog the same as a wild boar? They are slightly different right? I was watching a show talking about smoking whole hogs for the holidays and they looked like normal piggies just a little longer (if that makes sense).

bsmit212

My guess would be that once they are to the cooking stage they would look about the same. Like Coz said if a domestic hog gets loose they will quickly develope the fetures that disingues hogs from pigs.

carmen

This is going to sound like the dumbest thing but I thought wild boards were the hairy ones? I have to chuckle about that now because it does seem as dumb in words as in my head. When they get loose do they just grow into the hair or something?

ppine

Forester
Wild hogs were imported from places like Russia into the US very early in our history. Then we have feral domestic hogs that have reverted back toward their wild roots. They definitely have interbred. Wild hogs come in boars and sows, and piglets. Young pigs are called shoats I think. Hunters sometimes distinguish between dry sows with no young and wet sows with piglets.

Grandpa

Lets oink see if I can get this straight.
swine human
sow woman
boar man
shoat adolescent

Hog(swine raised for food, usually 120 + lbs) hog(someone who wants its all)
Pig (swine usually under 120 lbs) pig(someone who eats too much oink)

Now there are all kinds of colloquial variations of these words. Hog can be meant for any pig, wild or tame. This is similar to the word steer, which in some circles means any bovine but in reality is a male bovine which has been castrated.

There are 10 species in the genus sus. Some of these are wild, ie javelina, warthog, and some are tame. some of the tame have become become feral through freedom. There are also many subspecies withing these ten species.

That exhausts my limited pig knowledge other than I love bacon oink pork chops, 0ink oink. And no breakfast is complete without some ham to go with my eggs and taters.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t