Winter Camping - DRESSING UP

Northern Dancer

This is a three-part instructional series on Winter Camping that will include
DRESSING UP to Meet Frosty the Snowman,
a SLEEP SYSTEM that even a Bear would love,
and SHELTER from "the Stormy Blast",
plus other tips and ideas.
This presentation is designed as an introduction for beginners and interested people.

WELCOME TO WINTER CAMPING

My first winter camping experience was disastrous. I made more mistakes than a blind ant using a surfboard to cross the Atlantic ocean in the middle of a sassy storm. But I learned a lot and have come to enjoy winter camping in all its aspects including the many fun things one can do to enjoy the season.

DRESSING UP TO MEET FROSTY THE SNOWMAN

The first thing that I had to learn quickly was to dress up to meet the weather conditions. I, like everyone else in the group, didn't have money to buy all that fancy expensive brand name stuff to cover the body. I had to use what I already had. I also learned that it wasn't about fashion and how I looked to others. It was all about safety, sense, and oh ya, having fun.

So the first phrase I learned was to DRESS IN LAYERS. Then I learned paying attention to what I wore on my face and head was important as well as what I wore on my feet. I finally gave in on wearing "jeans" or jean like material. People in the know have proven over and over again rarely do jeans have a place in a camp wardrobe.

So, the first thing we learn is how to dress properly to meet the challenges of cold weather.

Coming up - a Sleep System that even a Bear would Love and Shelter from a "Stormy Blast". In the meantime ask questions and share your experiences on the topic of Dressing Up.

ppine

Forester
It is easy to over dress when hiking, skiing or snow shoeing in the snow. Try to avoid sweat at all costs. Put on a jacket or coat at rest stops and around camp. Except in extreme conditions like zero and below with wind, you usually don't need a warm coat.

Roybrew

As always great advice. I almost shuddered when you said "No to jeans", but you are correct. It's hard to put a pair of jeans over another pair when putting on layers.

I couldn't open the attachment.

Roybrew

One of these days I'll make it to the Boundary Waters or Algonquin for some real winter snow camping. Yep local paper will have article, Found Frozen Hillbilly. Local officials had to thaw out his double layer of cotton blue jeans just to get to his ID.

Northern Dancer

As always great advice. I almost shuddered when you said "No to jeans", but you are correct. It's hard to put a pair of jeans over another pair when putting on layers.

I couldn't open the attachment.
=====> Hi "Roybean" In the final analysis people do pretty much what they want to do. We let experience do the teaching. In regards to "the attachment" - the Dressing in Layers page was downloaded from my picture page. I couldn't find any material on the net so I put together my own and made it a picture.

Roybrew

Oh yes I see the picture now. I do wear the synthetic bibs when it's cold out. They are usually 50$ or under. They are nylon fabric with a polyfill batan. When I'd go walleye fishing, I would sometimes walk a mile up river. It was a nice trail. I'd leave before day light, and it would be below 30F, so layering was always preferred. I would wear long johns, pants ( eh usually blue jeans cause that's all I have) and my bibs, undershirt, long sleeve shirt, ha yep flannel, and a good coat. When I'd be hiking back in the afternoon it would sometimes warm up to 40F, so I'd peel out of my bibs and be comfortable. Oh and definitely my faux fur hat, umm I think it's faux.. might be fluffy bunny. Don't know, but it is sure warm.
I always wear a good warm hat when it's cold out. If I know I'm going to have frosty mornings when I go camping, I bring my furry hat and bibs. I hate being cold.

I'm glad you posted this. We've still got some cold weather here for a month or so. It's good to be reminded. If I ever do some winter camping I will seriously rethink and update my clothing. I'd hate to have a good camping trip ruined because of my stupidity.

ppine

Forester
The real key to negotiating cold weather is to constantly be aware of adjusting your clothing for the conditions and your exertion level. Try not to sweat and try not to get chilled. Always have some really warm clothes in reserve. If you sweat, change your under garments. Leave cotton at home.

I like wool. It does smell and get rank like polypro after a couple of days. Fleece is good for warm layers. Down is fine if you can keep it dry. It is a big advantage to have a fire or wood stove, because you can dry out your clothes at night and get really warm before bed.