Winterized the boat

TakeAHike

I finally had to give in and winterize my boat for the season since it was in the 20's the last couple of nights. I am already counting the days before I can get it back on the water. Have you winterized yours yet? Do you have to where you live or can you boat year round?

Snuggles

We used to have a boat and it was always such a job to winterize it. However, we sure were glad we did in the spring. All we did was uncover it, replentish the fluids and it was ready to go.

ppine

Forester
We have had lows around 10 degrees, but I have an outboard which is always ready to go. I am going fishing on a mountain lake next Tuesday. We just have to wait until the ice melts on the boat ramp to launch. A local lake here has a fishing season that opens January 1. Most other lakes are open all year. The higher elevation ones freeze, but many don't because they are deep. I try to get out all winter.

Year ago I had a ski boat, a Ski Centurion with a 351 Ford Cleveland inboard. It was set up to drain all the water in it with a few valves. I once towed a guy on skis at Pyramid Lake in February. He had a dry suit. There is a water ski club at Lake Tahoe that skis all year. The lake is over 600 feet deep and never freezes.

Last edited:

Joe S.

I have an attached garage where I keep the boat. The garage is attached to our mudroom and our furnace area is in the mudroom. I keep the battery in the furnace area, and it's a snap to pop it into the boat whenever a nice day presents itself.

T

tentrus

I bet you are already ready to head back out on the water. We don't own a boat but we did winterize the camper a couple of weekends ago.

TakeAHike

Ppine, you are far more adventurous than me. Once the ice comes, I like to be in my fishing shanty with some wind protection, not on my boat.

hummingbird

I would love to be able to fish all winter. I don't have a boat but I am ever envious of those who do. Even winterizing doesn't sound bad to me at this point. I've even talked to my husband of buying a houseboat and living on the lake. I'm sure we would love it. The only problem is the cat's wouldn't take too kindly to having to float on the water and not be able to hunt. :D

briansnat

Platnium Member
Luckily I procrastinated. The 20 degree night had me planning on doing it, but it's supposed to be 70 degrees tomorrow and 66 on SUnday

dinosaur

troublemaker
I don't have a bass boat anymore so I don't have to winterize. I do have to winterize my motorcycle but not just yet. There might be some days in December for riding. Then a little fuel stabilizer and remove the battery for storage above freezing and I'm done.