Zombies + OutDoors =

newton1

So I stumbled across this when attempting to locate a Warrior Dash or Tough Mudder near me. I've been wanting to try my hand at a trail run cause it looks like a blast, but after seeing this, I think I have no choice but to give it a shot!

Zombie Survival Dash

A few hundred zombies, obstacles, and an objective? I'm in... But my thoughts are this:

1. Anyone interesteed in making a forum team out of this? Team OutDoorBaseCamp? Haha

2. How the heck do I prepare!? Love the outdoors, but not exactly in the best of shape these days... Anyone with some recommendations? Haha :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Lamebeaver

The FAQ didn't mention whether I could bring my shotgun.......I hear zombies don't like shotguns.

Seriously, my advice would be to try not to stick out. I'm guessing the zombies will probably go after the guy in the red suit and cape first. And try to be one of the later starters, so they'll be tired from chasing the earlier contestants.

oldsarge

Looks like it would be fun! One hell of a work out, even though it's only 5K, being in the woods with obstacle while being chased can be really stressful.

monde

A good place to practice for preparation, just in case that we might encounter a real zombie or someone who is high on illegal drug (I remember the face-eaters in Miami and Louisiana). I'm not in shape to join yet but it sounds like fun as long as it's a game.

hikeorbike

This sounds like a blast, but not being able to fight the "zombies" in any way is kind of a bummer. If you're not a fast runner, you're screwed! Too bad they can't make robot zombies so that civilians can kill them!

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Sounds like "flag football". The zombies just try to grab your "health flags". It seems like they shouldn't be allowed to do things like hide in bushes and coordinate their attacks, anything that would require real intelligence.

Greatoutdoors

My hubby has been having dreams about zombies for the last five nights...I am looking forward to going to bed just so I can hear his dreams in the morning. They are out there buddy! I think this race sounds like fun and good practice just in case! If your gonna take your shotgun though (as LameBeaver suggests :laser:) you better practice running and re-loading at the same time!

Just a head's up though some of the zombies in hubby's dreams kept coming until you slap blow them to smithereens even with a head shot! :scared:

Ps. Yeah, I just noticed all the extra smilies and couldn't resist!

Last edited:

Barney

I say let them bite you to become one of them. After that you can do whatever you want, chase people, relax (like a zombie) when you feel like it. :D

oldsarge

It would be great to allow paint ball guns so you can tag them along the way. Of course you would have to let them have hand held Taser's to tag you if they get that close. Man this would be fun!

ChadTower

I've done a bunch of these races. Have not done the Zombie race but I have done the Warrior Dash, Spartan Race, etc. They all really come down to your cardio. If you can climb an 8' wall and are not squeamish about murky water and mud you can handle these races. Beyond those two things it's all cardio.

Keep in mind that you're not there to win. You're not even really there to compete. You're there to do the best you can. The people who win these things are dedicated athletes, many of them fitness professionals, soldiers, etc. Do the best you can and be happy at the end. Run it with a friend or two in similar condition and you'll enjoy it a lot more. Teamwork is usually allowed, but I run them all by myself, so it's not necessary.

Another couple of minor tips: You will completely destroy your sneakers. Duct tape the sneakers to your ankles or the mud will rip them off. Consider light knee and elbow pads if the race has barbed wire to crawl under. Learn ahead of time what the penalty for failing an obstacle is as there's a good chance you'll do a lot of them when the obstacles become impassable because they are covered in mud. Goggles seem like a good idea but people end up throwing them aside rather than wipe mud off of them every 5 seconds.