WITH BATED BREATH

Northern Dancer

It's another *peculiar year. With bated breath, I waited anxiously for the booking office to open Monday morning at 8:00 AM as they said they would. Giving a tad for time variance I waited all of ten minutes. My account was open, the information required was posted and I waited to push the button. Ten, Nine, Eight, Seven......PUSH! Bingo - done. The first trip is solidly booked. But my Canoe Buddy waits until he gets home from work, has dinner, watches a little TV, and then decides to book the second trip sometime around 8:00 PM. Dumb ass. Not a site open for June, July, or August; every site is booked. You have to understand that our favourite lake is a bit isolated and the canoe sites are few, very few. He panics and madly searches every lake in the vicinity and finally books successfully. So this year we will be in our usual paddling ground and exploring a new lake. Actually - I thought that to be a good idea - we need new challenges.

Did I tell you for the most part I'm already packed? The canoe is off the rack and I'm putting new decals on and refinishing it. Sort of inspired by Roybean.

* Our Region has been declared red - everything is closed; schools and all none essential businesses etc. You can go to the local grocery store - but you can only buy groceries. Our recreational centres, including provincial parks and such, are not open. I've been issued a travel pass should I be stopped by police.

ppine

Forester
or baited breath. Do not let the lack of facilities deter you from outdoor adventures, especially in a boat.

Northern Dancer

or baited breath. Do not let the lack of facilities deter you from outdoor adventures, especially in a boat.
-----> That too. Good advice "Pine". Because we are backcountry tripping we are hoping to avoid the complicated locks downs. My colleague and I were astounded that so many people were booking the few sites that are available. We have two spots and I'm mighty happy about that.