Ash Baked Potatoes

Gondor

When the campfire is down and we are finished with cooking the main meal we usually put potatoes in ashes (not pealed). After half an hour they are baked and ready for eating. I swear, not even the most delicious french fries could match up to these! :D Do you do this sometimes?

I actually don't know if this baking style has a name at all. :)

jason

fear no beer
I've never done this, but sounds tempting. I think I may have to try it next time.

southerngal

My husband and I love these so much we do it when we are just grilling around the house. We take the potatoes rub them with a little butter (makes skin crispy) then sprinkle a little salt and pepper on them and wrap them in tinfoil. Yummy!

calanta

I have not tried this one but my better half used to do some weird trick with beer bottles and the camp fire. I really wish my mind was not frazzled and I could remember it, something similar to this but I have no idea why it was done in the first place.

humorris

Sounds an excellant way to cook baked potato, I surely will try it some time in the future whilst next camping, cheers for thre tip!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

atula

When the campfire is down and we are finished with cooking the main meal we usually put potatoes in ashes (not pealed). After half an hour they are baked and ready for eating. I swear, not even the most delicious french fries could match up to these! :D Do you do this sometimes?

I actually don't know if this baking style has a name at all. :)
I think these are called jacket potatoes...and we do it a lot...actually something we really wait for as they taste superb....burned and crispy and smokey and...very tempting....:)

HereToday

MMMmmmmm; I had forgotten how good they taste, I haven't had them in forever, but I want one NOW!
I'm wondering if the coals and ash get hot enough in a regular home fireplace to bake the potatoes? Has anyone tried this?

Barney

Yes I have tried this already. These are quite delicious if you ask me. The taste is much better than the classical baked potatoes, I think the ash gives it some specific flavour.

Taggart

This thread is making me hungry. I've never had potatoes prepared like that but I'd love to try them.

By the way, don't some cultures cook other things including meat by burying them at a firesite like that?

southerngal

Yes Taggart I believe a lot of cultures still cook their meat this way. Personally if you were going to try it I would wrap the meat in tin foil before burying it. I think most cultures who use this technique use large leaves but I don't know any around here you could do that with.