Between Horses and Humans

ppine

Forester
After hanging around with some really famous horse trainers this spring, I am back in the barn teaching emotionally challenged kids to ride. I miss horses, even the way they smell. The kids learn from big honest animals lessons that are hard to teach any other way. My feet barely touch the ground for around 24 hours after working with kids.

ppine

Forester
Yesterday some kids rode bareback for the first time. At first they are tense but after five minutes they are riding with their arms outstretched and their eyes closed.

After the 2 1/2 hour lesson was over, I took Doc and retired QH gelding rope horse to his pasture to turn him out. We have worked together about five times. I took the halter off him and he just stood there for the longest time. I wish human relationships could start so fast and be so honest.

ppine

Forester
Yesterday I worked with 2 horses new to me. They are both well trained and used as lesson horses. They tend to get a little dull after awhile because kids don't really reward their good behavior. I realized that I have spent my whole horse career of 50 years desenstizing horses and mules. Now we are re-sensitizing them by asking for movement with the lightest touch possible and immmediately rewarding the slightest try.

One was part Arabian and very sensitive. The mare was push button light and easy to be around. After about 20 minutes she put her head on my shoulder and just left it there. Horses care about safety more than anything else. It is emotional to me to make the connection and provide the safe haven.

ppine

Forester
Thanks Jason. The God's honest truth is that volunterring when it is a good fit, I get more out of it than the kids do.