Cajun Style Chicken Etouffee

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponderosa

Looks/sounds tasty.
Would you answer a question for me? I've been cooking a few Cajun dishes lately, which generally call for "cajun seasoning." The closest I can find is Tony Cacheres Creole seasoning blend. I think it's delicious and have been using it on just about every dang thing I cook lately, but I'm wondering what the difference is between Cajun and Creole blends.

Newanderthal

the difference between Cajun and Creole doesn't really come into play on the seasoning level. So if it says "Cajun Seasoning" and you use a Creole blend, then you're using Cajun seasoning. Without going into the long and tedious process of explaining the subtle differences, think of it this way: Creole food is Cajun food with some tomatoes thrown in.

If you want to make your own, try this:

13 tsp salt
4 tsp onion powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder

this is a pretty potent seasoning that doesn't require more than a pinch to spice up your meal, so don't worry about the amount of salt that's in there. you won't be using much and you won't need to add any salt to your dishes.

Last edited:

Cappy

Being a good ole Cajun boy his self New got it right as usual. His recipe is pretty good for seasoning too. We make our own mainly to control ingredients cut way back on salt and avoid cross contamination with gluten cause of Peg's food intolerance. We used Tony's seasoning for years and BTW most country Cajuns use it as well. WE hadda quit using it cause it is no longer gluten free. The place its made also manufacture other Cajun food stuff containing wheat on the same equipment. So we took his original recipe( family friend) And adapted it to our taste.

L

Lenseagma

2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp chipotle rub
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp thyme

Stir or shake well to blend, store in a cool dry place.

Status
Not open for further replies.