Campfire biscuits

Greatoutdoors

This is a recipe I found online this weekend for making biscuits when you are camping. They sound pretty easy and delicious to me, and you can have the dry ingredients pre-measured.

ppine

Forester
I have made biscuits a few times, but they are never that good because they need lots of fat in them. Dumplings are actually easier around a campfire.

The prepared dough that comes in a tube works great because of the fat content.

Stm is right that biscuits and dumplings are especially good out of a DO.

Last edited:

stm1957

NotMy1stRodeo
Two of our "every trip" camp meals are "sausage gravy and biscuits" made with Poppin' Fresh biscuits and baked fireside in a dutch oven... and "chicken and dumplin's" made with good old Bisquick and cooked stove top in the same dutch oven.

HardyC

Every meal is better with biscuits! I haven't had any luck making campfire biscuits though. The next time I go camping I'm going to have to try this recipe out along with some chicken and dumplings. I've made Bannock for the kids. There are four simple ingredients: flour, baking powder, butter, and warm water. Just mix, put on a stick, cook and enjoy.

Laserwalk

Good idea. it gives you a good sleep, when you were hiking the whole day. Maybe i ask my mother to walk with me along untouched landscapes. Because she has the best recipe!

Greetings

Cappy

Mama Thwoppe's biscuit recipe.
Peel the label offn ya favorite tube of biscuits, strike it against a hard edge, it will go "thwoppe" Take out the biscuits put them in a dutch oven or pie iron and bake. Slather with ya favorite ingredients bite down and you will say "Ohhhhh, Mama!

Remember every thing is better when cooked out side:):Yo:

Charlotte

I'll have to try this next time we go camping! We love biscuits but haven't had a chance to try any while camping. I'm sure my husband and son would love biscuits for breakfast one morning.

ponderosa

I've made biscuits on a backpacking stove, miles from civilization. At home, whisk a little salt, baking powder, and powdered milk into the flour, and cut in the butter and/or shortening. Pack it in a ziploc bag, and it will be fine in your pack. Biscuits are best when made with cold fat of course, so make the biscuits on a chilly morning or cold night. Add cold water straight into the ziploc and knead until barely mixed. I use a very lightweight aluminum skillet with a lid (an aluminum pie plate will do for a lid). Add a little oil to the pan and use a low flame on your stove. Cut the corner from the ziploc & squeeze biscuits into the pan. Cover and "bake" over the low heat for about 10 minutes, flipping the biscuits after about five minutes.

If you're car camping, biscuits in the dutch oven are easy. Biscuits and gravy are a staple for breakfast on our annual family reunion camping trip.

Laserwalk

Mama Thwoppe's biscuit recipe.
Peel the label offn ya favorite tube of biscuits, strike it against a hard edge, it will go "thwoppe" Take out the biscuits put them in a dutch oven or pie iron and bake. Slather with ya favorite ingredients bite down and you will say "Ohhhhh, Mama!

Remember every thing is better when cooked out side:):Yo:
lol :D! very funny dude.

im sorry, but what is a dutch Oven?

Cappy

frank6160

I make my biscuits and baked goodies in my Coleman stovetop oven. Made many delicious meals from biscuits to pizza and anything in between.

Cappy

Wow glad some one unearthed this thread, thanks Frank.:Yo: Seriously in my canoeing trips I usta make biscuit mix and corn bread mix with powdered milk and eggs and put it in plastic bags. Add water mash the bags and cut a bottom corner off the bag and pipe into a pot or skillet, Make them thick for biscuits or corn muffins make them thin for pancake or ftitters. Easy Peezy lemon squeezy:beer3:

dinosaur

troublemaker
Here's another idea. Open a tube of biscuits and fry them in oil. Once they turn slightly golden, take them out and sprinkle them with powdered sugar. Mighty tasty if you happen to like donuts.

ppine

Forester
Chuck wagon cooks have been using Dino's recipe for a long time. The longer the trip, the more people miss something sweet. I have seen a cookie take some really big tube biscuits and cut a hole in them before frying, then roll them in sugar and cinnamon. They look like donuts.

Cappy

It's fun to do the fried biscuits too. We usta take canned biscuits and smash them flat and cut them in 4 fry them till they puff and brown then shake em in a paper bag of powdered sugar and call 'em beignets.

ppine

Forester
The difference between good biscuits and crunchy dough balls no one wants to eat is the addition of fat. Cold butter or Crisco or lard needs to be forked in and lots of it. The prepared ones in a tube work great. Oldtimers used to open a sack of flour and make a despression. Then they would fold in the other ingredients and pull out the dough and roll it into biscuits.

mhmcgrath

Chuck wagon cooks have been using Dino's recipe for a long time. The longer the trip, the more people miss something sweet. I have seen a cookie take some really big tube biscuits and cut a hole in them before frying, then roll them in sugar and cinnamon. They look like donuts.
Get the tube cinnamon rolls - cut in quarters - fry in fat - coat with included frosting - makes a camp breakfast super!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ppine

Forester
I was just reading an article about Southern biscuits. The author claimed that it takes a certain kind of flour. She likes Lily White Flour which is only available in the South.
I make dumplings sometimes, but have given up making biscuits from scratch and really like ones in a tube.

Roybrew

We used to have a milling company here in our town. My wife always said that was the best flour and cornmeal. I guess because it was fresh. They closed down in the late 90s, and they let people tour through and see the operations. Most of the machines were made from wood, and had small brass plates with the makers name on them affixed to the machines. She has a bag of White Lilly, and an off brand of flour, and an off brand of cornmeal right now.