Cleaning Day

Roybrew

Took the canoe and my big tent out for a cleaning. I am accessing the condition of this tent. I haven't used it in 7 years. One of the door zippers was off track, and the rain fly was starting to leak. I got the zipper straightened out.
I rubbed some sealing wax, parafin I think, on the zippers for lubrication.
the wear and tear of these threads need to be addressed because the zipper hangs on them.
it has been a great tent. Going redo the seams and see if I can get it water tight again. I'm also going to cover all this mesh so I can warm it a little better on cold mornings, but I plan on leaving enough breathable so I don't get condensation.

ppine

Forester
RB good job with the zipper. I hate em. I like to buy jackets with snaps.
Do you build your stripper? I am down to only 2 now. An Old Town Canadienne in kevlar and a 1953 OT Guide.

Northern Dancer

...luv's that canoe "Roybrew", envious might be a better term. Zippers? A really great invention - but I wish they would come up with a better design for sleepings bags and tents. I got my zipper caught up in my winter sleeping gag. I had a heck of a time trying to get it undone. Can you imagine not getting out of your sleeping bag the instant you wanted to? I was about ready to crawl out through the top when patience finally won out.

Roybrew

RB good job with the zipper. I hate em. I like to buy jackets with snaps.
Do you build your stripper? I am down to only 2 now. An Old Town Canadienne in kevlar and a 1953 OT Guide.
Yes I just finished it a couple of months ago. Handles great. I love looking at, and wondering, how the wood and canvas canoes are to paddle. Those old canoes are going to always be a treasure and I hope they end up with someone that will keep the in great shape. They are art work. Don't see many canoes down in these parts. Kayak is big trendy things here right now. Yaks are ok but they are heavier then I thought, and where do you put all your camping stuff?

Roybrew

...luv's that canoe "Roybrew", envious might be a better term. Zippers? A really great invention - but I wish they would come up with a better design for sleepings bags and tents. I got my zipper caught up in my winter sleeping gag. I had a heck of a time trying to get it undone. Can you imagine not getting out of your sleeping bag the instant you wanted to? I was about ready to crawl out through the top when patience finally won out.

Ha that's hilarious, but I have done that before. No joke the zipper always hangs up on fabric in close proximity. When you got to go... You got to go. Thank you I like the canoe to. Looking forward to making another one.

ppine

Forester
Wood and canvas canoes have life in them. They flex in the current and in waves. They creak and groan sometimes like an old ship. The are wonderful to look at. I go out and look at my canoe all the time. This spring she gets some new ribs, new planks and canvas.

Northern Dancer

Wood and canvas canoes have life in them. They flex in the current and in waves. They creak and groan sometimes like an old ship. The are wonderful to look at. I go out and look at my canoe all the time. This spring she gets some new ribs, new planks and canvas.
=====> Oh my gosh "ppine" - I thought for a moment you were describing me; "creak and groan like an old ship".