Cold Weather Equipment

Roybrew

Had to replace the regulator on my MrHeater buddy. It got to where it would shut off after 5 or 15 minutes of run time. The pilot flame would dance around and sometimes shoot a flame an extra inch or so, or die down to just a flicker. After ceaning the lines of any possible contamanits. I did a little research on line and took my best guess. I got lucky. I guess that's what I get for running it on a 20lb tank with no filter. I order 6 yards of ripstop nylon, so I can cover most of the breathable mosquito netting on my tent. I figured I'd set up the tent around Christmas break and see how it all does in cold weather. It would be nice to break the chill in the mornings before climbing out of a nice warm sack to get dressed.

Northern Dancer

...I like your conversation. I can picture it well and it sounds like a fun camp problem to wrestle with. Probably because I have a buddy heater too. I heard about the filtering system and was rather surprised about the problem because the heater is regarded as one of the better models; it certainly costs so. I use a 10-pound propane tank and it seems to work well. I use the cylinders on occasion though I don't like them because they are not recyclable in our region. Glad to hear you are soundly productive and active.

Roybrew

Hello ND, mine is probably the smallest lunch box type heaters MH9B. It did real good on the big tank for awhile. I've read that some of the cheaper hoses can leach oil into the lines of the heater plus you can also get dirt or other contamanits in the connections. It is suggested to use a filter if you use a hose from a portable tank. I think, but not sure because I haven't dug deep enough onto it, I think my small MrHeater has a low pressure regulator. I should've purchased a hose with regulator and filter. I don't know if a 10 or 20 lb tanks have more pressure them a 1 lb screw on bottle or not?

I was a little dismayed when I couldn't get it to work last October when my wife went camping with me. It wasn't real cold out, but I wanted her to be comfortable when she got up.

ppine

Forester
I like those heaters. I don't use it that often, but it makes a difference when I do.
Right now I have a 11 foot square Baker tent set up in the backyard. A campfire in front heats it up nicely.