Cooking Rabbit

Snuggles

There's a fellow that lives close by who raises Australian rabbits for market. I have toyed with the idea of getting one but have no idea how to cook it. I know there's somebody out there who could give me some tips on cooking rabbit. Thanks! :tinysmile_shy_t:

Hikenhunter

You can cook it like any other meat. Personally I like tame rabbit grilled slowly and seasoned with bar be cue sauce.Tame rabbit is done when it is pearly white in the middle. Use it in any recipe for chicken. One of my favorites used to be pot pie. I just googled " Rabbit recipes" and found a seemingly endless amount of information on the subject.Bon Appetite. Incidetally did you know that tame rabbit has the least amount of fat per ounce of all the marketed meats and digests better and more completly than any other meat on the market?

Last edited:

Theo

eyebp's mentor
One word. Hasenpfeffer.

Actually, rabbit can be prepared pretty much the same way as chicken. And no, rabbit doesn't taste like chicken. The only thing I've run across that remotely tasted like chicken was chicken.

Grandpa

I too, have always breaded and seasoned rabbit much like chicken and fried it. A neighbor raises rabbits and gave Grandma one all butchered up nice last year. She cooked that one in the dutch oven, in an alfredo sauce and we ate it over some penne pasta. Now grandma wants ME to start raising rabbits. Durn neighbor needs to keep his rabbits to himself.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

ChadTower

Seems like a couple 12 packs now and then should be able to get you a couple rabbits if your neighbor really is raising them. I've heard in the past something about rabbits liking to reproduce quickly... ;)

L

Lenseagma

The wife and I cooked rabbit basically the same way minus the Sherry.

The left overs are awesome too. We made soft shredded rabbit tacos the next day.

ppine

Forester
When I lived on the Idaho border with Washington my neighbor worked in a produce warehouse. He had all of this extra produce so he started raising rabbit. We would let some of the adults out to stretch their legs in the evening and drink beer and chase them around. I really like rabbits. He didn't eat many of them so pretty soon he had about 150 rabbits.

I like to cook it in a Dutch oven with low heat and some moisture. It is still common in Europe. Classic paea in Spain often used rabbit.
It is like low fat chicken and takes flavors really well.

L

Lenseagma

I have all my grandmother's old cast iron cookware. She didn't use a Dutch oven though.

I just got a new 12" Carolina from our local ag supply store last week...... It is pre-seasoned, but not knowing what they use, I want to clean it and season it my self before cooking in it.

Cappy

We always do this with new pots and love to deep fry something in it out doors and be messy on purpose great way to have fun while reasoning a pot.