Cooking Stations in the Wild

Roybrew

Screened dinning area. That's nice. The larger cans of propane are a great idea also.

Roybrew

Screened dinning area. That's nice. The larger cans of propane are a great idea also.

ppine

Forester
Great camp for long term set up. It is a lot of work for short trips. I have lived in a wall tent for up to a month at a time running tree planting crews.

Northern Dancer

Great camp for long term set up. It is a lot of work for short trips. I have lived in a wall tent for up to a month at a time running tree planting crews.
-----> If I'm out for two weeks or more I tend to do the extra because I can. When we are tripping we have gone one pack per person only and no duplication of any equipment. We actually weighed packs to make sure we carried the same load. Food recipes are made at home to get rid of packaging, cans, and bottles. I've learned to make great one-pot meals. I have three perks - one super large [25 cups] to a regular 6 cups and I have one that makes 2 cups. I just love this stuff. Sad to say I have recorded my experience as "Lost Summer of 2020 - the year if COVID 19"

As I've gotten older I have learned to savour the moment and just let things be.

ppine

Forester
ND,
Experienced people learn to adjust their equipment to the trip. I like deluxe equipment.
I like your line at the end. "I have learned to savor the moment and just let things be." The camping mantra made popular by people like Nessmuk, Horace Kephart and Sig Olsen.
Today on a forum a guy was talking about getting a fast start in the morning when backpacking. His new idea is to put instant coffee in with his oatmeal, add hot water and take off down the trail. I cannot relate at all. If you are in a hurry, why go out there?

Northern Dancer

ND,
Experienced people learn to adjust their equipment to the trip. I like deluxe equipment.
I like your line at the end. "I have learned to savor the moment and just let things be." The camping mantra made popular by people like Nessmuk, Horace Kephart, and Sig Olsen.
Today on a forum a guy was talking about getting a fast start in the morning when backpacking. His new idea is to put instant coffee in with his oatmeal, add hot water and take off down the trail. I cannot relate at all. If you are in a hurry, why go out there?
-----> I sort of had that kind of attitude once. We would get up in the wee hours in the morning, drive for miles, get into the canoe a paddle-like crazy, and arrived at our first site tired, bitchy, and a tad exhausted. We were sitting around the campfire deliberately silent when I said, "From now on we are booking space for a base camp. We are going to get up at a reasonable hour and we are going to take our time to drive up. Then we are going to have a good night's sleep AND then we are going to start our trip happy, relaxed, and joyful!" We have done that ever since.

Grandpa

Some of my grandest views were early morning or evening. The direction the sun hit those granite peaks or alpine lakes made each stop, each view, different.

Therefore, I was one of those early morning starters. Out of bed before sunrise, get a mug of coffee coffee brewed while packing up, then setting back with my cup and enjoy the sunrise. The suns rays and accompanying shadows would give me a totally different Vista from the evening before.

Following the beautiful sunrise, an early start on the trail allowed me to see a lot more of the local native wild game. I often was aware of being followed by a curious deer which wouldn't happen if she was Already bedded down for the day. Other game seemed less bashful during the early morning as well.

I usually aimed for an 8-10 mile day which got me to my next campsite about noonish. A nice rest during the heat of the day made my evening meal more enjoyable while watching the local neighbors come to water and to enjoy the evening sunset.

I suppose we all have our own ways to enjoy the same things. That's why Restaurants have menu's.

Cappy

for coffee to perk to the required strength of this Cajun country boy takes at least a half hour of perking and qjuite a while to get the pot up to temp. So I usually perk a pot of coffee the evening so it only needs warming the next morning. I perk it strong remove and clean all but the pot lidded part. I heat it the next morning to a simmer pour us a cup and the rest into a thermos. Saves time in the mornings. been doing it that way for years.

Roybrew

I like a cooking station that is under some type of roof like a tarp or awning. Keeps the dew off everything. I take my 10 x 10 awning when I go camping. If it's cold or wet out, a fire can be built just under the edge of it and it will hold the heat in, along with the smoke unfortunately. A small table so I don't have to get on my knees to prepare food. I'd rather sit outside under a shelter when it is raining instead of confined to a tent.

Northern Dancer

I have a fold-down hiker's table for trips that enables me to steady a camp stove. The legs are adjustable to make accommodation for uneven ground. Sometimes I use it in my tent for a night table. I have a small fold-down table for basecamp with a Coleman kitchen set up.

2897 2898 As you know, I also make my own camp furniture too.

ppine

Forester
Being up at sunrise is a great thing in the outdoors. All hunters and fishermen know that.

In the fall the days are shorter, which makes it easier to be up at sunrise. Hunting trips are about the only time I used to try to launch fast to be out at first light. Once in awhile on a canoe trip you get a weather opening and need to act fast.
The vast majority of the time, I am in no hurry. I really like layover days on boat trips and backpacking trips. I like to take naps now in the afternoon.

Sometimes I just take a walk in the woods with my dog. We find a nice spot and lie down for an hour. I have woken up after naps surrounded by elk, flocks of turkeys and staring at various large deer and fawns.

Now I am 70, and the trips keep having a slower pace. It does not take anything away from being out there. I can remember being young and full of energy, and getting off work on a Friday. I packed my truck, went to the grocery store, loaded two canoes on the roof and headed for a friend's house in Idaho at midnight. I got there at 0700 and we headed down the Snake River. Those days are long gone.

Northern Dancer

Being up at sunrise is a great thing in the outdoors. All hunters and fishermen know that.

In the fall the days are shorter, which makes it easier to be up at sunrise. Hunting trips are about the only time I used to try to launch fast to be out at first light. Once in awhile on a canoe trip you get a weather opening and need to act fast.
The vast majority of the time, I am in no hurry. I really like layover days on boat trips and backpacking trips. I like to take naps now in the afternoon.

Sometimes I just take a walk in the woods with my dog. We find a nice spot and lie down for an hour. I have woken up after naps surrounded by elk, flocks of turkeys and staring at various large deer and fawns.

Now I am 70, and the trips keep having a slower pace. It does not take anything away from being out there. I can remember being young and full of energy, and getting off work on a Friday. I packed my truck, went to the grocery store, loaded two canoes on the roof and headed for a friend's house in Idaho at midnight. I got there at 0700 and we headed down the Snake River. Those days are long gone.
-----> ...but the memories?