1 T oil
1 T butter
Yellow mustard
Ketchup
Dill pickle
2 buns

Boil hot dogs until done
Fry onions in combined oil and butter in cast iron fry pan
Toast buns to desired state of doneness (is that a state?)
Add hot dogs to frypan with onions and brown
Mustard and ketchup on opened toasted bun, hot dog, onions and a little more ketchup
Enjoy with a pickle on the side and maybe a cold beverage
YUM!

dinosaur

troublemaker
I agree with Nathan's hot dogs but I like mine Chicago Style: Bun, hot dog, diced raw onions, tomato slices, relish, Marconi hot sport peppers, mustard, ketchup and a dill spear on top.

carmen

Agreed, if I had to pick it would have to be diced onions, anything else and I am just a minute away from making a mess. I am not sure about the sport peppers but I would try them at least once, how spicy are they?

GA_gal

Sounds good, but I would always rather grill my dogs than cook them in the house. ;) Can't go wrong with a toasted bun, though. Ever since I tried my first toasted bun, it's been toasted or none at all!

Hikenhunter

Grill the dog,put a little olive oil on the bun and grill it, oiled side down,lay a couple of banana peppers in the bun, lay the dog in there, cover with pickle relish,ketchup,and yellow mustard. Mmm Mmm Good.

Grandpa

Best recipe for a Hot Dog is hike near snow so he can cool down once in a while

[/IMG]

TakeAHike

I agree with Nathan's hot dogs but I like mine Chicago Style: Bun, hot dog, diced raw onions, tomato slices, relish, Marconi hot sport peppers, mustard, ketchup and a dill spear on top.
Dinosaur, you have it exactly right! That is the only way you will even get a hot dog close to my mouth. I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and that's how I was raised eating them.

DuctTape

Too much stuff on a hot dog to me is to cover up a bad hot dog. If the hot dog is really good, then I might put a dab of mustard on it, or a small bit of sauce from the chili pot (up here we have a "hot sauce" which is similar to a chili meant for hot dogs), sometimes a drip of ketchup, or a few grilled onions, but never all of them. Small notes to enhance the natural flavor of the sausage not to overpower it. I get my dogs from a local german butcher. They make a mean bratwurst too and smoke their own sausages, hams, bacon, etc... ok I am off to the butcher.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I usually prefer my dogs with mustard and either chopped raw onion, or kraut. Nothing fancy. If somehow I wind up with hot dogs that aren't great I'll throw a little melted cheese on them and maybe some chili, baked beans or cooked red onions.

Years ago I recall a hot dog truck in my home town that advertized 100 toppings. The owner made some interesting combinations and I was always eager to try something new. One combo that took me a while to try was potatoes, sour cream, melted cheese and chopped chives, but it was good. I wouldn't go near the pickled beets and red cabbage dog though.

Dogs were a buck no matter how many toppings you had on it. His lunch time line was sometimes 50 deep. Then one day the truck was gone. No warning, nothing. Nobody knew where he went or if anything happened to him.

Cappy

All you Nathan weenie fans all I can tellya is take a few Zweigles and call me in the morning.

sighned Da Weenie doctor

ppine

Forester
It is time for an outdoor tent party. I like to cook Johnsonville brats in a big frying pan over a fire and then chop them up and let people eat them out of the pan with hot mustard as an appetizer.

Elk sausage is even better.

Last edited:

Pathfinder1

It is time for an outdoor tent party. I like to cook Johnsonville brats in a big frying pan over a fire and then chop them up and let people eat them out of the pan with hot mustard as an appetizer.

Hi...

How's that for coincidence...?? I just bought a couple packs of Johnsonville's this very afternoon. Love 'em. Don't know yet just how I'm going to serve them up, though.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

EmilyHoawS

You will need 3 to 4 large Bermuda Onions
Olive Oil
Large Plain can of Tomato Sauce
Oregano, pepper, salt, touch of Red Pepper Flakesoptional

First place about 1/4 inch deep olive oil in a high sided fry pan the oions will cook down but you will need the height until they do

Second heat the oil and add the slice ontions cooking until they are nearly completely cooked.

Third pour in the can of plain tomato sauce.
Add about 1/2 tablespoon of Oregano, then pepper/salt to taste.
You can add red pepper flakes but its optional

Cook on a medium low heat letting the sauce bubble for about 10 to 15 minutes. Make sure to stir as sauce will thicken and can burn easily if not watched

Now you can spoon your sauce of your hot dogs or burgers.
I also have added sliced cheese to the hot dog buns, toasted these, placed the hot dogs on the cheesy buns and added the sauce Its ymmy I guarantee.

My recipe called Onion Cheese Dogs was purchased years ago from me by Better Homes & Gardens Magazines this is true but I havent seen it any of their cook books yet. Now you know it has to taste great