Hiking on holidays?

Barney

Have you ever hiked during national holidays? We sometimes have a habit of hiking on my birthday. It is a special present to me. :)

Grandpa

Holidays are great for hikes. It gives the working part of the family a chance to hike with us loafers.

campclose

We do hike during the warmer weather holidays. In the winter months we don't hike very often. We usually go tubing and sledding instead. Anyone go tubing or sledding?

BigSur

No, but one time we went to a theme park and that could have been considered hiking! You have to walk literally all over the place to get anywhere! I'm pretty sure we walked like 10 miles, at least it felt like it.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
No, but one time we went to a theme park and that could have been considered hiking! You have to walk literally all over the place to get anywhere! I'm pretty sure we walked like 10 miles, at least it felt like it.
Yeah I know I put in like five miles a day when I go to Disney World. That's like hiking in Hell though… More like exercise than hiking.

Hiking (to me) is something that is fun, although can be hard work. Hiking at a theme park is just walking long distances because you're forced to, to get anywhere. That's like comparing being on "the trail of tears", to hiking the AT. Same movement, different reason...

Greatoutdoors

I have been hiking on the Fourth of July, Memorial Day, and Labor Day before, but we don't normally go hiking during the colder months of the year. I miss hiking when it is cold though.

bsmit212

I have not, but that is simple because no one else in my Family are very big hikers. As my baby gets older we might a every now and then. We do normally go camping/hiking for my birthday.

Barney

Yes I agree that your family needs to be inclined to this type of activity in order to tag along willingly. Some are blessed with such family some are not.

Cappy

The reason I avoid doing stuff on weekends and holidays is cause every body else does. Go fishing on a holiday ya gotta wait in line at the landing. The woods is full of city boys in blaze orange carrying guns they gust bought and aint sure if the safety is on or off. No thank ya. I enjoy the back yard fire pit and bbq pit on holidays and venture out when the dust settles.

One of my favorite hikes to take is my annual New Year's Eve trek up Bald Rock. If the weather holds, it's a great spot to bring the new year in. You can see fireworks for miles around, and if there isn't a crowd, the isolation is very contemplative. It's my go-to spot for lots of times when I want to get away and think for a bit.

Blazer

The reason I avoid doing stuff on weekends and holidays is cause every body else does. Go fishing on a holiday ya gotta wait in line at the landing. The woods is full of city boys in blaze orange carrying guns they gust bought and aint sure if the safety is on or off. No thank ya. I enjoy the back yard fire pit and bbq pit on holidays and venture out when the dust settles.
A man who thinks as I do. Plus, I live at the Jersey Shore and during the summer the traffic getting in and out of here is murder on weekends and holidays. So I start my "weekend" midweek and end it as everyone is starting there's. I stay home and hide out at the local free beach that no one knows about and do BBQs in the backyard.

This is the time of year that I hit the road, take my vacation and really enjoy myself. When everyone else is back to work and school and the weather cools down. Best time of year! :Clap2:

Glad to know I'm not the only one who vacations in the "off" season. I can't deal with crowds, and I hate heavy traffic. I'd much rather spend a peaceful vacation somewhere on my own time.

carmen

We have not for any of the big holidays but we have for the smaller ones. Sometimes the areas near us get really cramped so the best time for us to go is in the middle of the work week.

ArkansasMom

I think, for us, it depends on the holiday. We went hiking on Labor Day and Memorial Day. I don't know if I would consider going hiking on Fourth of July. I bet that day would be a bit insane.

vinovampire

I think, for us, it depends on the holiday. We went hiking on Labor Day and Memorial Day. I don't know if I would consider going hiking on Fourth of July. I bet that day would be a bit insane.
At least were I live, it's a real treat to be on a mountaintop on the 4th of July. All the little towns have their own fireworks, so if you're in the right place at sundown you can see fireworks in the different valleys and along the lakes. The first time I did it was a complete accident, which made it even better! I highly recommend it if you have a similar in your area.

Rosepetals

Actually, I have never hiked on a holiday, other than on Easter. It feels so right when it is around Easter. The weather is just getting to be about perfect by then.

Woodland

We avoid it because there are too many people out hiking on holidays. I like my hike to be a bit quieter so I can enjoy the peace and solitude after a crazy work week. Some people like meeting other people on hikes but I'm usually there for the peacefulness it gives me.