Roybrew, i thought of you.

Roybrew

Thank you. I'm hoping to start another this year, after I get my shop finished.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Roybrew

I'd like to have a light canoe like your Souris River. I'm just to cheap to drop that much on one. I'm like my Dad was, "What? How much? Why I can make one for cheaper then that." Of course after all the expenses and time, a person be better off buying one. But it's fun. I've read on a canoe forum about someone building a 16 foot strip canoe with a finished weight of close to 40 pounds. He is a very experienced builder tho.

I want to build a 13 to 14 foot solo for my wife, then a 16 foot solo for me. I want to make them as light as possible also. Most of the strip canoes are constructed out of 1/4" thick wood strips. I shaved mine down to 3/16". This reduced the weight by 25% on the wood. I was told I'd be fine since I was using a harder wood then most, but the wood I used was 25% heavier, so I think it equaled out. But what I didn't realize was, when I was shaving the hull smooth, after glueing the strips together and before sanding, I was making the strips even thinner. When I purchased Ted Moore's book and did some reading, I already had the outside of the hull smoothed, sanded and ready to glass. I had no idea idea how thin the hull was, and if only in spots! [emoji54]. I still had the inside to smooth which would remove even more wood. So now when we take it out, I have a fear of it splitting open like a ripe watermelon [emoji525]. Ooh I like watermelon [emoji39].

I have even considered, well thought of anyhow, building a canoe out of kevlar. But this would require lots of mold building prep work, research and some of that green stuff [emoji383]. But that's just me thinking.

Thanks for compliments. I appreciate it.
Roy

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
I'd like to have a light canoe like your Souris River. I'm just to cheap to drop that much on one. I'm like my Dad was, "What? How much? Why I can make one for cheaper then that." Of course after all the expenses and time, a person be better off buying one. But it's fun. I've read on a canoe forum about someone building a 16 foot strip canoe with a finished weight of close to 40 pounds. He is a very experienced builder tho.

I want to build a 13 to 14 foot solo for my wife, then a 16 foot solo for me. I want to make them as light as possible also. Most of the strip canoes are constructed out of 1/4" thick wood strips. I shaved mine down to 3/16". This reduced the weight by 25% on the wood. I was told I'd be fine since I was using a harder wood then most, but the wood I used was 25% heavier, so I think it equaled out. But what I didn't realize was, when I was shaving the hull smooth, after glueing the strips together and before sanding, I was making the strips even thinner. When I purchased Ted Moore's book and did some reading, I already had the outside of the hull smoothed, sanded and ready to glass. I had no idea idea how thin the hull was, and if only in spots! [emoji54]. I still had the inside to smooth which would remove even more wood. So now when we take it out, I have a fear of it splitting open like a ripe watermelon [emoji525]. Ooh I like watermelon [emoji39].

I have even considered, well thought of anyhow, building a canoe out of kevlar. But this would require lots of mold building prep work, research and some of that green stuff [emoji383]. But that's just me thinking.

Roy

Roy, you have more talent in your mistakes than I have on my best day!

Roybrew

Ha. You just learn how to hide them. But thank you.

Northern Dancer

Roy

-----> It weighs in at 42 pounds and can carry 800 pounds plus. It wasn't my first canoe. You nailed it on the head - I just couldn't afford one when. I've had a few over the years and one of them was a Coleman canoe. Not from the Coleman Company. There was a man [interesting enough he is a client now] who made canoes in our town. It was stylish, well built, and weighed as much as a tank. You couldn't sink that thing unless you blew it up. I was exhausted every time I had to portage. Finally, I bought the SR.

Lots of snow coming our way this evening and continuing into late Monday night. Goodie :Frown2:

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
-----> It weighs in at 42 pounds and can carry 800 pounds plus. It wasn't my first canoe. You nailed it on the head - I just couldn't afford one when. I've had a few over the years and one of them was a Coleman canoe. Not from the Coleman Company. There was a man [interesting enough he is a client now] who made canoes in our town. It was stylish, well built, and weighed as much as a tank. You couldn't sink that thing unless you blew it up. I was exhausted every time I had to portage. Finally, I bought the SR.

Lots of snow coming our way this evening and continuing into late Monday night. Goodie :Frown2:
We've had some snow also, picture shows accumulation. Giggle!

Attachments

Northern Dancer

We've had some snow also, picture shows accumulation. Giggle!
We had snow today - a foot of the stuff blowing and howling around. The whole of Toronto is just about shut down. I haven't seen this situation for some time. Schools, offices, services, and just about everything else are closed. On my day off too. :Frown2:

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
We are out again trying to do some cold weather camping. We just can't hit it right. Day temps average mid 50's, nights average mid 20's. We should have gotten out 2 weeks ago, temps near and below 0°F with wind chills in the -45°F range. Well, we'll keep trying!

P.S.

What's going on? I don't believe Climate change is affecting us like this. January in this part of the US should be cold!

Roybrew

We've had a couple of inches of snow. Last night on the way to work there was just a little snow creeping on to there road. This morning the entire parking lot at work was solid ice. Snow and ice covered the road until I got to my home county line. The county I live in keeps the roads better. Snow and ice covered subdivision roads. Cold and breezy outside.
This is a normal for this time of year.

Be safe Thomas.

Northern Dancer

I guess it is normal. If I'm going to camp out in the winter snow is needed to make the experience authentic by having the real stuff. If I camped out somewhere on the coast in Florida can I count the white sand as snow? Just sayin.

Roybrew

I used to go to Florida about this time of year to visit my parents. They were a migratory retired couple. They would leave Michigan about Thanksgiving, and migrate to a little camper set up on a retirement RV lot, and stay till about Easter then head back north. I would go down there and visit for a week. Wow was it nice and warm, on the gulf side, just below Tampa Florida. When it hits the month of April, it starts getting very warm [emoji3062]. I asked one of the locals how it was there in the summer. He replied "You sweat, a lot". Whew to hot for me. I guess I'm sort of a temperate person.