"SLOPPY SOCKS" in a pack...

Northern Dancer

"SLOPPY SOCKS" in a Pack - The Basics
Individual Back Packing for Camping/Canoeing for the Beginner - just one idea, because there are a whole lot more.

Let me see now...oh yes, a headlight, water filtration, and oh ya there is...? What might your pack contain?

ppine

Forester
Now that I am 70 I have lightened up the load, starting with the Big Three. I now carry a ULA pack which is a little over 2 pounds, down sleeping bag a little over 2 pounds, and a Mountainsmith tarp at 2 pounds. I have learned to count ounces and have saved a lot of weight. For short trips, 3 days or less people think I am going on a day trip. I do not carry things like binoculars, rake, saw, umbrella, notebook, axe or large knives.

I do carry a Helinox chair about 1 1/2 pounds.

Roybrew

I never use a binocular. I've carried one on day hikes and even on camping trips, but always forget about it, or just don't want to dig it out. It's just extra weight to me.

ppine

Forester
I carry light binoculars on trips that have critters that are far away like mountain goats and wild sheep. Otherwise no.

Northern Dancer

...I use a small telescope binocular principally to scout out the campsites. I don't know how many times I paddled over to a site to reject it on closer inspection. The telescope saves me a lot of energy and time when coming to the end of the paddling day. Like "Pine" I use it to look closer to wildlife.