Thanksgiving at Home

ppine

Forester
We are having two close friends over for the holiday. I will set up the Baker tent in front of the fire in the backyard campsite. We will be cooking a turkey breast and a meat dish, maybe buffalo maybe beef. Sheepherder bread, pumpkin bread pudding for dessert with bourbon sauce. Dutch ovens on the fire outside. We have ppines for a windbreak. Like the old days.

Anyone else have Thanksgiving plans?

Grandpa

The herd is coming. Some for the week. Others here and there. T day itself is orchestrated by grandma. But each of the other days menu is assigned to one of the adult kids and their families. I know ruffled grouse via Dutch ovens is on the menu. When we were cutting firewood grandson harvested a few so his dad and uncle took their guns and added a few more.

There will be a lot of clay targets broken and I'll have my hands full re reloading all the brass they'll empty.

ppine

Forester
Grandpa,
I used to enjoy hunting and eating grouse. I was cooking some pheasants once on a fire when a friend from Scotland dropped by. We cooked them in some butter with a few herbs, then finished them with cream and some Drambuie, the Scotch liquor. Best birds I have ever had.

Northern Dancer

...sounds like a royal feast in both camps. Every now and then I get a hankering to roast a cornish hen over an open fire. That, along with a baked potato with herbs, cheese, and cream, and a little refreshment does much to create a lasting memory.