The Master Camper

Northern Dancer

The MASTER CAMPER is a session I did with the Traditional Scouting Association. It was intended to set a measurement for leadership and youth and help develop a skills program.

ppine

Forester
I believe in Scouting. There are so many things to learn. I was in a troop that had an outdoor trip at least once a month all year around. We camped in barns with straw mostly in the winter. We did not worry that much about advancement and merit badges. We were a small troop but active in raising money and accumulated some good equipment.

Later I was in the Christian Service Brigade. It was the Scouts with learning scripture. We were very aware of the fact that some of our counselors seemed gay and could be pedophiles. We all carried pocket knives and made sure we were never alone one on one with any of them. It is the soft underbelly of Scouting. I hope they can get the law suits behind them. Now that Scouting is co-ed there is a whole new set of issues to deal with.

Today I will be working with 2 emotionally challenged brothers and teaching them about horses. I hope to have them horseback in a couple of weeks. They are wards of the state but great kids. They need help and I am going to give it to them.

Northern Dancer

I believe in Scouting. There are so many things to learn. I was in a troop that had an outdoor trip at least once a month all year around. We camped in barns with straw mostly in the winter. We did not worry that much about advancement and merit badges. We were a small troop but active in raising money and accumulated some good equipment.

Later I was in the Christian Service Brigade. It was the Scouts with learning scripture. We were very aware of the fact that some of our counselors seemed gay and could be pedophiles. We all carried pocket knives and made sure we were never alone one on one with any of them. It is the soft underbelly of Scouting. I hope they can get the law suits behind them. Now that Scouting is co-ed there is a whole new set of issues to deal with.

Today I will be working with 2 emotionally challenged brothers and teaching them about horses. I hope to have them horseback in a couple of weeks. They are wards of the state but great kids. They need help and I am going to give it to them.
=====> Looks like you have your work/challenge cut out for you. I've done "rescue" work with youth in the past. A lot of energy and commitment required but it had its own rewards. I was a leader for a number of years and had the occasion to initiate the arrest of a "paid" scouter. It was a reality of life then, as it is now. But in spite of that, I've met some terrific people along the way and they overshadowed the ones who, for whatever reason, were not able to control themselves. Vigilance is the new word in spite of the many regulations and guidelines put in place. All this reminds me of another module [or at least part of one] that I introduced recently. "Rules"

ppine

Forester
I have been a Big Brother to two kids. They did not really want my help and were not into the outdoors.
Now I have two kids 12 and 16 that are brothers. They love working with horses and are really good at it. Next I am taking them hiking. They need to get tired and get away from the institutional home they live in.