The Shoot The Bull Thread

Northern Dancer

It's so great to read and view the pictures you posts Roybrew. It would be great to live closer to one another - and maybe, like, get into some camp mischief.

Northern Dancer

Our second trip of the year was far more extensive and full than the first one, for which I am truly thankful. So I would like to share a few posts with the community over the next little while.

3549 First of all - this Bud, make it a Cracked Canoe was for you Jason. Since you were not there I drank it for you. Gotta say, it tasted mighty good.

3550 The place was as beautiful, peaceful, clean and isolated as usual.

NOW FOR A SHORT REPORT - "A STRANGE EVENT'

I'm sitting in my comfy chair down by the placid lake about 1:35 PM when my colleague and I spotted, what we thought was a bird, flying in a peculiar manner. As we watched more carefully we determined that it was a bat. What was a bat doing flying around in broad daylight? All of a sudden it dove and crashed into the water. How bout that? I actually had my camera in my lap. Anyway, the bat begins to do the breaststoke and is swimming rather quickly with precision as it headed for a tree that is a tad in the water as much as on the land. Not a stop , it just makes a bee line for this tree. It get's to the base and climbs up on a root and pauses a moment and then climbs the tree until it's safely off the ground. It opens it's wings to soak up the day time sun and stays there for the rest of the day. Come early evening it takes flight and disappears into the darkening sky. Have any of you ever see anything like this?

3551 3552

Roybrew

Jason, I don't think I've ever had scallops before? I'm not to big on shrimp or any other shell fish that I can think of. My wife never met a [emoji1654] shrimp that she didn't like though. Now when it comes to fish, yum I love [emoji225][emoji226] em all. I think my big old tent is a 12x16. It's great when it's raining, as long it ain't leaking that is, cause you can sit and play cards and stuff.

Dancer, I've never seen a bat doing a, bat stroke? That's weird. You sure you didn't drink to much of that Cracked Canoe stuff? I wish I wasn't so far south. All the good canoeing stuff is farther north. I tried to use that as an excuse to sell out and move further up that way, but my wife said that's not a big enough reason. [emoji848] Hmmm maybe I can come up with a better idea. I don't know tho, y'all got some long cold winters [emoji3063] up there. Jason and Cappy to far south to sweaty [emoji3062] down that way. I wonder how far my old Chevy can go before it,,,, goes blewwy [emoji95]? Eh ha.

I sliced up one of my Cherokee Purple maters last night and made a [emoji3053] sandwich. It was really dark in color. Pretty strong tasting.IMG_20220723_210057177~2.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

Jason, I don't think I've ever had scallops before? I'm not to big on shrimp or any other shell fish that I can think of. My wife never met a [emoji1654] shrimp that she didn't like though. Now when it comes to fish, yum I love [emoji225][emoji226] em all. I think my big old tent is a 12x16. It's great when it's raining, as long it ain't leaking that is, cause you can sit and play cards and stuff.

Dancer, I've never seen a bat doing a, bat stroke? That's weird. You sure you didn't drink to much of that Cracked Canoe stuff? I wish I wasn't so far south. All the good canoeing stuff is farther north. I tried to use that as an excuse to sell out and move further up that way, but my wife said that's not a big enough reason. [emoji848] Hmmm maybe I can come up with a better idea. I don't know tho, y'all got some long cold winters [emoji3063] up there. Jason and Cappy to far south to sweaty [emoji3062] down that way. I wonder how far my old Chevy can go before it,,,, goes blewwy [emoji95]? Eh ha.

I sliced up one of my Cherokee Purple maters last night and made a [emoji3053] sandwich. It was really dark in color. Pretty strong tasting.View attachment 3553

----->Just a minute, let me get a plate.

Roybrew

Well I found out about a new law that my home state of Tennessee passed on July 1st. Screenshot_20220730-212416~2.jpg They have a huge homeless problem in Nashville TN where people are living in tents, or anything they can to be comfortable and survive, and this law is how, some, want to deal with it. Being 250 miles east of Nashville, I wasn't totally oblivious to the homeless problem, but i haven't been very exposed to it. I have noticed a few people around here doing some extensive camping near the lake and river. I don't know their situation and I don't judge them. It is scary realizing how close to being poverty stricken a person can get.

I'm sorry if this sounds petty and self centered, but I am wondering how extensive this new law is. Which when I read it sounds very vague. The majority of my camping is on public land adjoined to local lakes. I like finding a spot, on an island or other area outside of the established campgrounds. I've got some research to do about this and how it effects my camping.

I know some people prefer to be alone, have mentally challenging disabilities, or have lost everything they have do to circumstances,
but this law doesn't seem like a fix to the problem. All I know to say is that my heart goes out to someone that doesn't want to be in that situation.

Northern Dancer

It's becoming a serious problem everywhere in our so called modern day existance. We don't seem to have a solution to the growing problems that are created in our urban centres. The rich get rich and the "poor have babies" as they use to say. We are ripe for civil disobedience. We have a problem here too but because "open land" is Crown Land, it belongs to the people. So now what do you do?
There is no easy solution to the problem.

Roybrew

Hot, hot and muggy with rain. It finally quit raining, today anyhow, so I hit the yard this afternoon. My yellow stripey tomatoes are starting to ripenIMG_20220802_184304502~2.jpg I love these tomatoes. I've been cleaning and straightening the basement up since I got my work shop doneIMG_20220727_173726108~2.jpg Going to have lots of room to keep my camping stuff stored. I need to make a little time to get back to work on my canoe paddles IMG_20220801_202117972~2.jpg this one weighs 31oz. I'm hoping I can shave more of. Trying to plan a short canoe, fishing and camping trip for this fall.
I hope everyone is well.
Roy

jason

fear no beer

I sliced up one of my Cherokee Purple maters last night and made a [emoji3053] sandwich. It was really dark in color. Pretty strong tasting.

Scallops are good when cooked right. But I guess you have to like shellfish.

That tomato looks great. Just put a little salt and pepper on it and thats a snack right there.

jason

fear no beer
Our second trip of the year was far more extensive and full than the first one, for which I am truly thankful. So I would like to share a few posts with the community over the next little while.

First of all - this Bud, make it a Cracked Canoe was for you Jason. Since you were not there I drank it for you. Gotta say, it tasted mighty good.

The place was as beautiful, peaceful, clean and isolated as usual.

NOW FOR A SHORT REPORT - "A STRANGE EVENT'

I'm sitting in my comfy chair down by the placid lake about 1:35 PM when my colleague and I spotted, what we thought was a bird, flying in a peculiar manner. As we watched more carefully we determined that it was a bat. What was a bat doing flying around in broad daylight? All of a sudden it dove and crashed into the water. How bout that? I actually had my camera in my lap. Anyway, the bat begins to do the breaststoke and is swimming rather quickly with precision as it headed for a tree that is a tad in the water as much as on the land. Not a stop , it just makes a bee line for this tree. It get's to the base and climbs up on a root and pauses a moment and then climbs the tree until it's safely off the ground. It opens it's wings to soak up the day time sun and stays there for the rest of the day. Come early evening it takes flight and disappears into the darkening sky. Have any of you ever see anything like this?

Never heard of that beer. Will have to keep an eye out.

That had to be a sight to see the bat doing that. Don't think I've ever seen a bat out during the day.

Cappy

Great to see yall posting, This is the beginning of the end of monsoon season and I cant wait for it to dry up soon. got most of the yard cut between showers last week and stead of finishing think I will start over. The hot water sprung a bad leak flooded the ceiling and thank God Peg was awake she got me up and I threw shoes on climbed into the attic and shut the water off too late though damage done. Got a new heater in and installed had to replumb the pop off in new ones its on the side not on top. Got that done now its time to call a contractor and deal with insulation dry wall and ceiling etc before the black mold sets in. On a lighter note moved by the cost of bacon I decided to make some more on that later gotta run to store before the rain starts AGAIN!!

Northern Dancer

Great to see yall posting, This is the beginning of the end of monsoon season and I cant wait for it to dry up soon. got most of the yard cut between showers last week and stead of finishing think I will start over. The hot water sprung a bad leak flooded the ceiling and thank God Peg was awake she got me up and I threw shoes on climbed into the attic and shut the water off too late though damage done. Got a new heater in and installed had to replumb the pop off in new ones its on the side not on top. Got that done now its time to call a contractor and deal with insulation dry wall and ceiling etc before the black mold sets in. On a lighter note moved by the cost of bacon I decided to make some more on that later gotta run to store before the rain starts AGAIN!!
=====> I don't know how you stay so positive, you are an inspiration Cappy. Trust all will work out well. Glad to see you online.

Cappy

when it rains it pours hadda drag the stove out I finally gave up buying and changing parts to the ole junk a lil advice for yall never ever buy crosley anything.

Cappy

Spent the morning shopping and reading reviews at Lowes picked a nice amana 4 burner range and after the hell we had with the last range we got the warranty so thats done we drug the old one out and cleaned the void good and are ready for a new one soon. So busy we did not have time top slice and try our batch of bacon so I put it in zip bags and parked it in the freezer really looking forwards to trying it.

Roybrew

Sounds like your having a rough time Cappy. Bad things run in 3s. You've had heart trouble, home repair and now cook stove trouble. Maybe that's the last of it. I hope the rest of the year goes well for you.

I looked up the Crosely stoves. I remember the name but ain't seen any in a long time. They sort of reminded me of the late 60 and early 70 AMC cars, made by other car companies with AMC name. I had a 72 Javelin. I think it was mostly a Chrysler product. It wasn't anything special, but it did run.

I just got up and bacon sounds real good.
Roy

Cappy

for a bacon update I dry brined a couple pork belly pieces for 8 days. turning every day. Took it out rinsed it good patted it down and back in the fridge overnight. The next day I put em on da pit with cherry wood chips and natural lump charcoal I cooked them for 1:30 and checked my pit was a lil too hot and the bacon had begun to drip a lil. temp was 160 bout 10 too high. Pulled it set on the cabinet to cool then in the fridge to chill while there we talked over it and cause of all the crap going on and no stove and the kitchen a wreck we put the beautiful bacon slabs in the freezer for when we can get our heads out of the water and can set up the slicer etc. I almost cried after all that we froze it with out even sampling it. I almost drug out the camper stove and carved a few slices off with my old hickory knife but decided against it with so much going on many of which I aint told yaLL I did not want to start anything figuring once I tasted it, it would be on. So hot water heater installed stove removed new one to come in today. Put in a claim to the insurance company and now taking pictures of the mess to send them

Roybrew

I bet that's major work and quite an inconvenience. Didn't you have water damage last year when your air conditioner drain leak? I believe you said a rodent chewed tru the drain line. You must've really pissed off a water God when you were a tug boat Captain. Maybe you had a fling with a mermaid and left her high and dry? Ain't no wrath like a woman's scorn. angry-furious-mermaid-with-devil-horns-and-trident-vector-26876761.jpg yep one of them red headed ones,,, ewww.

We have a pull in half basement. I had a little Toyota Corolla in it once, wasn't much room. The house was built in the mid 70s. Back when they might've splashed a little tar on the basement blocks, and then pushed the dirt in. I have a dehumidifier and box fan down there running 24/7. I'll get 2 gallons of water in 24 hours out of the air in the spring and the summer. So there's no way we will ever use it for living space, unless we dig up entire foundation and redo it, ha forget that. It makes great storage area tho. We finally got it straightened out after I moved my stuff into my shop.IMG_20220814_132519647~2.jpg all my camping stuff organized [emoji4]. But it's been an expensive year. New heat and air system $6G, complete head job on Subaru, about 800 and that was doing it myself, except machine shop stuff on heads. I just ordered a new Catalytic converter also 550.
I hate that car. I'm going to start calling that car Christine.