Watchya Making for Turkey Day?

ppine

Forester
I am going to visit a group of close friends in Reno. I will toast them at dinner and tell them "you are just like family, except you are nicer to me."

I am making some stuffing because it is impossible to have too much of it. Probably gong to add apples, dried fruit and nuts to make it stand out from the other brown foods on the plate. Then some fresh cranberry relish with oranges and cloves. I like to be somewhat tart because it brings out the flavor of turkey. My girl is making corn pudding with chilis. It is not sweet except for the fresh corn.

We made oyster stuffing in my family for generations. It originated in Kansas where our relatives lived until 1889. Then they moved to Washington and could get fresh oysters. One day the family was together, 25 years ago and we decided we were never making it again.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes with real Maple Syrup, buttered (real butter) broccoli, biscuits and pumpkin pie with whipped cream. A little blush wine and I should be sleeping like a baby by midnight.

ponderosa

I'm not hosting this year, so I have less cooking to do. I'm making some pies (coconut cream, chocolate, lemon); au gratin broccoli, cauliflower, & carrots; and a sourdough stuffing with mushrooms, artichokes, & parmesan.

Grandpa

Grandma and daughters 1&3 been baking pies, rolls and all sorts of goodies before we make the exodus to #2's new home for the feast. Son couldn't make the journey this year.

Cappy

I deep fried 2 turkeys shot up with cajun seasoning. We had smashed taters, sweet taters , brussel sprouts, fruit salad, stuffin, and for desert pecan, and pumpkin pies. Great day in the camp ground spending all day today Picking up the pieces while Peg and Jen are away for a gal day

ppine

Forester
Dino,
Not everybody gets my point of view, but the one's that do really get it. My best friend of over 60 years is retiring and moving to Florida. He is coming to visit this summer. There are several people on this forum like you, Cappy and Grandpa that would be a lot of fun around a fire somewhere like tonight.

ppine

Forester
Thanksgiving this year was spent with some close friends and their extended family. We had 20 people and 4 generations. The food was exceptional because we had so many vegetables and endless amounts of stuffing and plenty of gravy. We had two turkeys that were both smoked. Good times.

Cappy

I really love smoked turkeys but when camping the turkey frying rig dont take near as much room as da smoke house.:beer3:

ppine

Forester
I have cooked buffalo for Thanksgiving at least 10 times. The men cook on the fire and the women cook in the house. Usually I cook a sirloin roast in a Dutch oven low and slow with liquid like apple cider. I usually make BBQ sauce 3 days ahead of time and let it sit in the refir. I have an old cowboy recipe that uses black coffee and molasses.

Cappy

Every time I stop in to see whats new I have been seeing this thread lately and it makes me smile No way I have a clue what I am having next Tuesday much less Thanksgiving. years ago I fried turkeys heck even volunteered at the church and helped frying over a hundred of them. Now that is just me and Peg I will put a small one on the pit or do Cornish hens on the pit. Or a ham or a good garlic stuffed butte roast or BBQed red fish or.......... we have moved away from tradition I guess but one thing remains the same we are then as we always are thankful for what we have