Water Supply

jason

fear no beer
When you go camping do you bring enough water to last the trip or do you get water locally? If you get water on site do you filter it and how so? I try to being enough water with me, usually in big jugs, however there have been times I had to boil some. However, I have seen people drink it straight from streams.

deltic

I take as much as possible with me, unless I was in an emergency situation I would not drink from a stream and certainly not without boiling it first.

poster25

My family and I have never been on a long trip in which we would need a lot water. We usually just take enough for 1 or 2 days. This is usually about 3 or 4 jugs.

deltic

My family and I have never been on a long trip in which we would need a lot water. We usually just take enough for 1 or 2 days. This is usually about 3 or 4 jugs.
That doesn't sound like much for two days unless they are very big jugs, I would take more than that - just in case!

SageMother

We bring water with us when camping. We don't know what the run off has meandered through before reaching a nearby stream, and one never knows when bears might be at the water's edge when you go to fill up a canteen!

tater03

We usually bring jugs of water. So far we have not ever run out. I imagine you could always boil the water at the campground if you did run out and didn't want to use it to drink.

deltic

I imagine you could always boil the water at the campground if you did run out and didn't want to use it to drink.
I think that depends on where you are camping and the facilities (if any) that are available.

failghe

I don't bring water with us. I made a water filter out of pvc, filter material, and carbon. I had used it alot when i had fish tanks but I got rid of the tanks. Now i am looking for something smaller to use at home and take camping.

kernow

I don't bring water with us. I made a water filter out of pvc, filter material, and carbon. I had used it alot when i had fish tanks but I got rid of the tanks. Now i am looking for something smaller to use at home and take camping.
Do you use that for drinking water? Does it make the water taste any different?

failghe

Yes. I do belive it makes the water taste different. I guess you could think of it as an R/O system but without the expensive membrane. The filter material stops any sediment and the carbon takes out any impurities. I had put a pvc hose fitting on the end, then made it to the 2" pipe with some sort of fittings, then reduced it back down to the hose fitting at the other side. Inside the 2" pipe which is about 2' long stuffed with filter material, then carbon in the middle, the more filter material. One side connects between the homemade filter to the spigot via a short hose and the other end out of the filter via another short hose to fill or refill any containers we need for drinking water or whatever.

SQuirrel

You can get a Katydyn Hiker for about 65 bucks and that will give you all the water you need. Pert near 200 gallons per filter element which are only like 30 bucks. I'm a backpacker and motorcycle camper primarily so I allways cary my filter. When car camping I will bring a couple of gallons just too be lazy, but when those run out I will filter into those jugs if available. When backpacking, Even at dry camps I try not to carry more than a gallon of water just to get me through the night and back to a source I can filter from the next day. Needless to say, I don't do well in the desert.

Barney

I carry on as much as I can, of course, because without the water a person can endure much less than without the food. But everytime I prepare myself for some trip I ask around where can I find water locally. Drinking rain water is OK if you are in an emergency, but drinking stream water is just irresponsible, because you can get really sick from bacterias from it. Boiling is the best cleaning process for the water. I also carry water purification tablets with me, because they are quick and convenient way of purifying water from bacterias (but not as good as boiling).

Woodzie

We have 2 big 10 gallon jugs that we bring with us. That usually lasts us a couple days. If we are staying longer, we just take them up to the natural spring that is by where we camp.

To conserve out water, I will take some of the river water and boil it to wash my dishes with. Then I rinse them with the good water.

Campy

I bring some water with me, usually a case of bottled water for drinking and one of those long jugs of water (with a spout) designed to put in your fridge.
I also have a 5 gal. folding plastic jug that I fill up at the campgrounds water spigot. It can hang on a tree by my kitchen.