Winter Camping - SLEEP SYSTEM

Northern Dancer

This is Part 2 of a 3 Part series on Winter Camping designed for the beginner and interested people.

SLEEP SYSTEM THAT EVEN A BEAR WOULD LOVE [2 of 3]
A COUPLE OF THOUGHTS BEFORE WE GET STARTED

Remember, it is your body heat that is keeping you warm. What's on the outside and around you provides insulation to keep the heat on the inside.
What we are doing then is insulating our bodies to keep us warm. So, if the insulation keeps the heat in then it stands to reason if you get into your sleeping bag cold...guess what? More than likely you will remain cold, maybe even freeze. This is even true in the summertime.

TIME TESTED TIPS

First
- avoid liquids before bed for the obvious reasons; especially hot chocolates and definitely sodas. You don't want to get out of your warm cozy sleeping bag, get dressed, walk across the snow, and do what you have to do to relieve yourself. Male an effort to empty the tanks before going to bed. A snack like a protein bar or high energy bar will get your inner core heated up. Do not sleep in the clothes that you have worn all day - not a good thing to do. If you over pad you will eliminate the air barrier that you are trying to heat up. If you plan to wear socks - put on clean ones. I usually take "bed" socks with me.

Sorry Ladies, but this is for the guys, especially the mature male. If you have to, use a night bottle. You will not have to leave the warmth of your sleeping bag. I just do my thing discretely with no fanfare. I keep mine in a sock - don't forget to tighten the camp.
:Smile2: Don't forget the hand sanitizer.

Before getting into my bag I fluff it up.
Depending on where I am I may opt for a hot water bottle, wrapped, to go inside at the end of my sleeping bag to keep my feet warm. I have used hot rocks, they worked well, but there are better methods. Today you can purchase body warmers [same as the hand ones but a bit larger] that will stay hot for a whopping eighteen hours. Make sure you wrap them in a sock to prevent burns. I use a blow-up camp pillow for my head or take along my teddy bear.

Do not bury your head in your sleeping bag. Why? Because all that moisture you exhale will dampen your sleeping bag and make you cold. Ever get into a damp sleeping bag? Ugh! Use a sleeping bag liner, it keeps your sleeping bag clean and will increase the insulation. Put one sleeping bag inside another, plus a liner to bring your sleep system up to par if you don't own a heavy-duty sleeping bag.

With that said - let me share with you the system that I use. Remember - you can change, alter, rearrange and adapt knowledge to meet your own specific needs. And more so? You might have a better idea you can share with the community.

ppine

Forester
Make sure you have enough insulation under you. Add an ensolite pad over your sleeping pad if you are not sure. Wear a warm hat. Put on some warm dry clothes, especially dry socks. Sleep with a dog or two. Get out of the wind. Add a blanket. Use two sleeping bags if you have to.