Why Would You Own An Assault Rifle?

Cappy

I watched a couple of ole 'Wild Bill's'videos and have come to a conclusion. Man, I sure would like ta buy that fella a beer.

ChadTower

So he redefined British and Cathoic VALUES. That has nothing to do with MY morality, or our govt's for that matter. Morality doesn't pay, nor can it be bought. But, hand out enough $ and all is good.... I think not.

I'll buy the first round chadtower.

A very large percentage of the world defines their indivdual morality by the rules laid down by their religion. Change the rules of the religion and you change morality for millions (or billions) of people.

Yes, that's less true than it used to be, but it's still true. Snip one of the ten commandments out of that list and a billion people might decide that whatever was in that rule is now perfectly moral.

Boroffski

Dirt, wood and steel
A very large percentage of the world defines their indivdual morality by the rules laid down by their religion. Change the rules of the religion and you change morality for millions (or billions) of people.

Yes, that's less true than it used to be, but it's still true. Snip one of the ten commandments out of that list and a billion people might decide that whatever was in that rule is now perfectly moral.
This is very true for most of the world, and I 100% agree with this.

However..... For me, I'll keep the Ten Commandments, the first Ten Ammendments, and a "little" of my own reasonings as my morals.

I have a disability when it comes to conforming.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Snip one of the ten commandments out of that list and a billion people might decide that whatever was in that rule is now perfectly moral.
This may indeed be true but those people would necessarily lack fear and reason.

If the religion says it is okay to murder people and you go out and do it, you can have no argument when someone comes to murder you. If you sleep with someone else's spouse you have no recourse when you catch your spouse in bed with another. And if they remove the first commandment it would be perfectly acceptable for you to worship money as your god. And when others stole your money, which would be perfectly acceptable, you wouldn't even have a god. What then, Jihad?

Joe S.

Since I don't ever foresee the need to kill very large numbers of people very quickly, I don't ever foresee the need for owning an assault weapon. If I ever change my mind, I will join the Army.

oldsarge

Since I don't ever foresee the need to kill very large numbers of people very quickly, I don't ever foresee the need for owning an assault weapon. If I ever change my mind, I will join the Army.
I see your point. But there are competitions that require the engagement of multiple targets quickly. They are fun and exciting, plus you don't need to join the Army. Just say'n!

Mmacro

In Alaska I carried a AK47 with a folding stock and 5-round magazine to hunt caribou. It was an excellent gun to drop them with and it folded up nicely and fit in my backpack when packing out meat.
So, yes a "assault weapon" has a use in hunting.

Lorax

Well....for about the millionth time, there is a huge difference between an M-4, an M16 and an AR15.
A simple search will clarify this, but I guess it's easier to watch the agenda driven media for all knowledge rather than have people educate themselves with technology that fits in the pocket, is usually accessible 24/7 and would take all of about three minutes. I guess it's easier just to be told what to think.

I personally don't own any assault rifle, but I do have a precision AR15 for target shooting and hunting. Yes. Why? Because it's my Constitutional right to do so.

End of story.

Mmacro

If you really want to get down to the nitty gritty of it... A .32 cal Kentucky long rifle (a muzzle loader) is an assault rifle since by the standards of the day it out fired and was a hundred times more accurate than the British muskets (a fact that the British tried to cry foul over since it was obviously unfair for the unruly militants to use these to fight the King's men with).

And bagpipes were once (possibly still are) classified as a weapon of war.

So, I really don't mind gun control advocates calling an AK-47, M4, M16, or AR15 an assault rifle... As you pointed out... It's my right to own one. And an AK-47 and AR15 do have practical hunting applications... I hunt with mine all the time (legally with a 5-round magazine. (No different than having to use a shotgun with a plug to limit shells)

ChadTower

This may indeed be true but those people would necessarily lack fear and reason.

If the religion says it is okay to murder people and you go out and do it, you can have no argument when someone comes to murder you. If you sleep with someone else's spouse you have no recourse when you catch your spouse in bed with another. And if they remove the first commandment it would be perfectly acceptable for you to worship money as your god. And when others stole your money, which would be perfectly acceptable, you wouldn't even have a god. What then, Jihad?

Not Jihad. Human nature. You just described how most of the human race operates when sufficiently large groups are involved. The entirety of human history follows this pattern almost exactly.

Cappy

Peg says she heard on the news that they are trying to ban anythings that holds 10 rounds. Heck thats both our rifles. Guess we gonna have to do like we did with shotguns and buy plugs for them. Who knew ,....my 22 rifle was an assault rifle :p

CozInCowtown

Peg says she heard on the news that they are trying to ban anythings that holds 10 rounds. Heck thats both our rifles. Guess we gonna have to do like we did with shotguns and buy plugs for them. Who knew ,....my 22 rifle was an assault rifle :p
That would be that Frankenstein woman out in California.
When they come to get your guns make sure to give them the ammo first.
Eventually they would get the idea.
JMO,
DC

ChadTower

I wish people would stop saying "they're going to ban" things. They aren't and they can't and we all know this. They can't ban something you have in your hands already. They can ban the future sales, they can ban the future transfer, but they cannot ban something for which millions already exist in the hands of citizens. All they can do is make it harder to legally get them from that point forward.

ChadTower

I bet those things are still out there in peoples' hands. They certainly didn't go around collecting them when they were made illegal, did they?

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
If they ban assault rifles... Maybe they should try banning cocaine next, and heck, why don't they ban stealing, too? It bugs me when people steal stuff.

Why would I buy an assault rifle? If I had they money, I would. Just because I can... I've shot them before, they are a lot of fun.

ChadTower

I agree with Cappy, yes they can and yes they have.

Can you provide examples? Every other attempt at banning something people want ends in dramatic failure.

They couldn't prohibit alcohol with the full might of the US Gov't behind it. In fact they failed so badly they created a whole new class of super wealthy criminals overnight. They can't ban any other recreational drugs. Alcohol and drugs can't fight back.

How do you think they're going to ban any type of weapon given that they already exist in the hands of people unwilling to turn them in? I have never heard anyone give one reasonable proposal for how you could collect even one popular weapon out of the hands of the public. Let's say the gov't wanted to ban all AR-15s tomorrow. How exactly would they go about removing the millions of them already out there? If we cannot answer that question then we cannot consider an ownership ban as a possibility.