Any hangers?

Boroffski

Dirt, wood and steel
I just got a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe hammock and supershelter for my birthday. After one night, I'm a convert, It was maybe my best night sleep ever. From now on, if I'm sleeping solo, I'll be in a hammock. Why did not try this years ago?

Anyone else got the hammock bug?

bsmit212

I use my ENO most of the time, but still use my tent some to. Normally use the hammock during summer and tent during winter. I find the tent keeps me warmer.

carmen

We have one for the yard and we used to have one for camping but somehow it managed to get destroy over about a two year time span. I seldom used it but I have been looking for a replacement, how much did you pay for yours?

cabinfever

I've never taken a hammock camping. I don't know why, either, as I love sleeping on the hammock - especially when I'm supposed to be mowing the lawn or cleaning out the garage.

Boroffski

Dirt, wood and steel
We have one for the yard and we used to have one for camping but somehow it managed to get destroy over about a two year time span. I seldom used it but I have been looking for a replacement, how much did you pay for yours?
With the Supershelter(spring 1/2 off sale now) it was $315 from Hennessy. The hammock, 10x12 hex tarp, suspension, snake skins, bottom insulation and shipping all included in that price. Hennessy has no-see-um mesh over the top of their hammocks, so bug protection is built in. Link to their sight; Hennessy Hammock
There are definatly much cheaper options out there, but not as a complete 3-4 season setup.

Hammock forums is a great site to learn anything hammock. The link; https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/index.php

bsmit212

You can cut some of those cost though. My set up is as follows with estimation of price cause i got it all so long ago.

ENO hammock - $60is to $70is
Slack straps - $30ish but this could be replaced by strong rope if you know knote tying. I have don't this on others
rain fly I put together for around $25 dollars at wal-mart. Trap with some string and a few stakes from the camping department.

Don't have any bug netting but I don't find a need for it most of the time.

You can cut the hammock cost with a grand trunks. I have heard peole say they work well and are cheaper, but have not personally used one. For bottom insulation just use your current sleeping pad in the bottom of the hammock.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Warbonnet Blackbird here. I have reached that point that if I have to sleep on the ground, I'm going to a motel.

And for what it's worth, I sleep warmer in a hammock than in a tent. I started with a closed cell foam (CCF) pad and a sleeping bag. I now use a Hammock Gear 20° Phoenix under quilt and a 20° Burrow. Down is the only way to go.

And as always: HYOH, YMMV, batteries not included, etc.

DuctTape

Yep. Many options out there too. I have been in a hammock for quite a few years now. The last couple of years, I have been using it all 4 seasons. When I first started I had a no net hammock (from the company now known as grand trunk) I used the rainfly from my eureka timberline tent and my sleeping bag and pad. Total cost to get started was $20.

I then got a Claytor hammock. It has a double layer so pads stay put. Integrated bug net. Cost was $70 and I have not changed to a different one in years. I have tried a few, but the Claytor is my hammock of choice. I have switched to using a top quilt instead of a sleeping bag in all but the brutal cold winter (then I use my -20 north face bag). I use an OES tarp in summer and a JRB 10x11 tarp in winter.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Eno Double Nest and a Granite Gear White Lightning Tarp here.

Hi...

Why is your tarp set up at an angle, rather than 'square'?
Not sure about his set up but a lot of tarps, particularly square tarps, are meant to be set up on the diagonal. More coverage, less material when compared to a rectangular tarp.

I have a rectangular tarp which I prefer over a square tarp. In really cold,windy and/or wet conditions, I can pull down the sides of my tarp and make it into almost a tent.

Last edited:

Mudslide

Nother hanger here. I went entry level with my Grand Trunk ultra lite and it does wonders for a tired hikers back at the end of the day. I too have the best sleep in mine and will use it every time when I solo. Plus, it takes about 2 minutes to set up!

briansnat

Platnium Member
My wife and I bought two Warbonnet Blackbird hammocks last spring along with a pair of silnylon Mamajamba tarps.

They are very comfortable to sleep in. They do sleep cold though. I find myself bringing a heavier sleeping bag than normal and my wife was using her winter bag on summer nights. We both use a Thermarest underneath.

The underquilt is something we may go for one day but they are quite pricy, That and once you start adding in all that extra stuff the two hammocks end up actually weighing more than the tent.

Here is our setup camping at a state campground in MA. A number of people stopped by to ask us about the hammocks.

Here is our setup for a paddle camping trip last summer.

Last edited:

Lorax

I have five. I've been doing it on and off for 11 years now. For the past 6, I spend about 85% of my nights in my hammocks.

bsmit212

Update on my sleep system, and a note to anybody thinking about joining the hanggin club. I think I have decied to try and ditch the ENO slack straps and change them out for rope. I am doing this for one reason, I like to start with my hammock as tight as possible, I find it provides better support and a better sleep. I went camping this weekend, while I found a alright place to set up and sleep, there was more slack in my hammock then I would have like b/c I could not reach the next loop on my slack straps. With rope I could have gotten it tighter. This has happened serval times. We are within a month of my baby being due so not sure when I will be able to get out again but I will let you know how it turns out.

Boroffski

Dirt, wood and steel
I just ordered some whoopie slings for my Hennesy Explorer. Should make setup and adjusting the hang much easier and quicker.

Marshmallow

I had forgotten how much I loved sleeping in a hammock, or just lying out in one and reading a good book. Why haven't we thought of buying one for the yard? It's going on my spring shopping list. I'm at home now most of the time, so I could find plenty of time to slip away into one.

briansnat

Platnium Member
Update on my sleep system, and a note to anybody thinking about joining the hanggin club. I think I have decied to try and ditch the ENO slack straps and change them out for rope. I am doing this for one reason, I like to start with my hammock as tight as possible, I find it provides better support and a better sleep. I went camping this weekend, while I found a alright place to set up and sleep, there was more slack in my hammock then I would have like b/c I could not reach the next loop on my slack straps. With rope I could have gotten it tighter. This has happened serval times. We are within a month of my baby being due so not sure when I will be able to get out again but I will let you know how it turns out.
When I was first looking at suspension systems those set loops are why I ruled out the Slap Straps. I went with rope and a whoopie sling at first. Then when I bought the WB Blackbird I ordered the model with the adjustable web. Piece of cake now. Loop strap around tree and secure with carabiner, then pull the strap adjustment as tight as you like. Takes seconds and the hammock stays tight all night. I don't know why more hammock mfrs don't use that system.

The whoopie sling is second best, unless you are a weight shaving fiend, in which case the whoopie sling is probably preferable.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Something to keep in mind with whoopie slings. I have a set and have played with them some. They can be be a bit of trouble for those who have arthritic hands. I have tried different suspension systems and I prefer the Blackbird web suspension, hands down.