Forest Bathing

Northern Dancer

Do you know what forest bathing is?

This Japanese practice is a process of relaxation; known in Japan as "shinrin yoku". The simple method of being calm and quiet amongst the trees, and observing nature around you well breathing deeply can help both adults and children de-stress and boost health and wellbeing naturally. The term shinrin-yoku was coined in 1982 by Tomohide Akiyama, who was the director of the Japanese Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries.

"There is a large amount of scientific evidence surrounding the health benefits of spending time in nature. Because of this, forest bathing became an integral part of preventive health care and healing in Japanese medicine.
The idea is that when humans spend time in a natural setting, especially under the canopy of a forest, they experience rejuvenating benefits to the mind, body, and spirit. This is not a novel concept. Traditionally people sought the restorative benefits of the forest as part of their everyday life. However, with the increase of industry and modern civilization, we moved away from the forest and into the hustle and bustle of the city. We lost touch with nature." * - Ontario Parks.

I remember once hiking a trail and coming across a porcupine sitting in a tree. I sat on a rock and observed it for hours and didn't appreciate it until I became aware of the time and how relaxed I felt. There was just me and the porcupine, no talk or inner action, just a calmness. It was good stuff.

ppine

Forester
I have been forest bathing since around 1958. I became a forester because the woods is the place I feel the most calm.

Northern Dancer

You are absolutely right Pine, why didn't I think of that? Tomohide Akiyama may have coined the phrase "forest bathing, but like you, I've been doing it for a lot of years.