Wilderness skills and other topics

eco-lite

Flatlander
Seems some are asking for content.
There are stories waiting to be told and adventures that are needing to be written.

There are also tools we will need when we re-enter the wilderness.
What skills are necessary and how can you as a member of this forum contribute?

We all have skills we bring with us, but there are also other skills we can only find through our trials in the woods. Share what you know, so we can carry those valuable lessons and have them readily available when we need them.

1) Knots: When and how to use them.
2) Fire: The many ways to use one.
3) Shelter: What works best and when
4) Water: How to keep and maintain hygiene.
5) Crafting: What to use and how to use it.
6) What to do when the trail has wandered away from you or your camp site is not where you thought it should be. (how to plan in advance for your easy return to your shelter)
7) When you are wet and you wish you were dry, what can you do to bring some warmth into your body?
8) You are bored and it is raining; you are stuck inside your shelter; what productive projects can you do while you wait it out?

Or tell us about your next planned adventure.

Perhaps you might provide us a video of a fireside chat or of a crafting skill that can be rewarding for all of us to share...

Walking sticks for instance..
If tall enough, a walking stick could pole vault you across a narrow stream without even getting your boots wet, or could be used to re-direct a snake in another direction that would be safer for both of you.

Show us your walking stick.. Does it tell a story?

Enquiring minds need to know...

Last edited:

Grandpa

There are stories waiting to be told and adventures that are needing to be written.

We all have skills we bring with us, but there are also other skills we can only find through our trials in the woods. Share what you know, so we can carry those valuable lessons and have them readily available when we need them.

6) What to do when the trail has wandered away from you or your camp site is not where you thought it should be. (how to plan in advance for your easy return to your shelter)
7) When you are wet and you wish you were dry, what can you do to bring some warmth into your body?
8) You are bored and it is raining; you are stuck inside your shelter; what productive projects can you do while you wait it out?

Perhaps you might provide us a video of a fireside chat or of a crafting skill that can be rewarding for all of us to share...

If tall enough, a walking stick could pole vault you across a narrow stream without even getting your boots wet, or could be used to re-direct a snake in another direction that would be safer for both of you.

So many questions,

Wilderness Survival? Where are our archives? Go to the Wilderness Survival topic in Camping and read all 5771 messages. Some great responses there from the forums. Some of those knowledgeable people have moved on and some are still here. But its all been covered in some way, shape or form. As for me, I'm heading out at 6:30 am with a herd of boy scouts for a week in the High Uinta wilderness in Utah. The goal is 50 plus miles of trail mixed with some good fishing and fireside adventure tales. The younger boys are with us and the older boys are packing into the Boulder Chain Lakes in the White Clouds in central Idaho.

eco-lite

Flatlander
Grandpa,

Seems like I posted in the wrong forum.
Meant to respond to the question posted below.

Hi...
This forum appears to be rapidly slowing down, and I am concerned...!! Could it be because of the new format...??
What do you think...??

ppine

Forester
Grandpa,
I will be thinking of you in the High Uintas, one of the great mountain ranges in North America. Please keep an eye out for moose and tell us about any sightings. You are one of the great teachers anywhere that I have run into on forums.

I am headed to Oregon on Sat to run 78 miles on the Willamette River by canoe. For a change we have some young people along. I will be paddling with my friends nephew who is 23. He knows all about sports but little about camping or canoeing. I am looking forward to teaching the kid as much as anything else. Thanks for your inspiration.