another newbie

perchbutt

perchbutt
Hey there-

Here's the regular: SWF age 47 transplanted to New England from MN. When I think of "home", it'd be WI.

Like to fish. Coffee in the morning might be my almost first love, but fishing is only a spit behind. Both enjoyed somewhere outside near a body of water, campfire and a tent is really the best. An ale come Friday is nice too.
I work too much for probably too little, but am thankful to have a job and live not too far away from a few streams and a nice big pond. Have a soft spot in my heart for an old morgan trail horse named Ben.
Hunting season is better than Christmas.
Rabbit is better than chicken, especially in rosemary brined w/ bacon and wild rice. And spinach.
Will be picking up my first kayak in a few weeks. It'll be keeping company with a little Radisson fishing canoe. Am taking up fly fishing. Still want to learn to bowhunt. Ice fishing rocks.

I like art and gardens and blues and can't think of anything else to write in an introduction.
What did the little fish say when it hit the brick wall? dam.

Cheers!

Karen

oldsarge

perchbutt! Cute name, welcome to the site. Have you met Dinosaur yet?

perchbutt

perchbutt
hola-
think it's a wilderness systems palmico 120- yellow, shortish and only slightly heavier than my canoe. it's used but looks good, will need to trick it out a bit- w/ rod holders and want to get a few misc bits like a skirt for cruising and an anchor, but should be fun and am a little excited!

perchbutt

perchbutt
perchbutt! Cute name, welcome to the site. Have you met Dinosaur yet?
Good morning-
and happy Memorial Day!

The name's a joke from college-
lived in a big house w/ a bunch of other kids. One of the resident vegans tried to get us to quit eating flesh by referring to any piece of meat using the suffix, -butt. The tactic didn't work very well. It became a gentle joke. Soon everything became "-butt-ified"; chicken = birdbutt, banana = fruitbutt, broom & dustpan = workbutt, etc.,.

When my far thinking buddies finally convinced me the internet was not merely bad tv to the -nth degree, but possibly a venue for free-flowing information (and cheaper than the phone), so when I needed my own handle, I didn't want to be bassbutt765876, the only fish not taken at that time was the lowly perch.

Perch fits pretty good to, it's common in ponds everywhere. The humble cousin of that great freshwater cod, called walleye, it's the regular fish not found in the market- the only way to get it is to go fishing; especially tasty in the winter. Nicely colored and feisty on a light line. Plus perch don't have anything resembling butts and neither do us norsky mutts (you might need to be a little norwegian to get that one...lol).

be well-
thanks for the welcome

jason

fear no beer
hola-
think it's a wilderness systems palmico 120- yellow, shortish and only slightly heavier than my canoe. it's used but looks good, will need to trick it out a bit- w/ rod holders and want to get a few misc bits like a skirt for cruising and an anchor, but should be fun and am a little excited!
I typically use a stake out pole. This way I can rotate around and not have to worry about the fishing line and the anchor line getting mixed up. Not sure how deep you are going though. Plus I have a sit on top, so I just stick it through the hole behind the seat. I mostly do flats, or drift. I do keep my old dog's teather with me for a backup though.

Judy Ann

I typically use a stake out pole. This way I can rotate around and not have to worry about the fishing line and the anchor line getting mixed up. Not sure how deep you are going though. Plus I have a sit on top, so I just stick it through the hole behind the seat. I mostly do flats, or drift. I do keep my old dog's teather with me for a backup though.
Is that like a cajun anchor?

perchbutt

perchbutt
i'll be fishing in anywhere from 2' - 35' of water depending on which spot the day takes me. There's quite a bit of variety in the neighborhood, so I need to figure out how to be flexible. The bell anchor I use with the canoe might be a good way to loose every bit of tackle as well as dignity, so.... what do you use as a pole? pipe?

juli

And another one

I have just joined. I wanted another venue for talking about my interests. I first and foremost love the out doors.
I canoed as a young kid and now kayak, because I like the feel of being in my boat and the easy way it handles. I do not whitewater, love a trip in the delta, the gulf or creeks. Picked up birding since I am always out among them.
I also hike - have over 1500 miles on the AT and have covered quite a few miles in Alabama.
art is my thing. I teach it and I paint with a focus on my outdoor trips.

perchbutt

perchbutt
Thanks everyone for the hello's!
It's good to feel welcome.

Looking forward to some good conversations-

Where do I start looking for info on bow-hunting?

Judy Ann

i'll be fishing in anywhere from 2' - 35' of water depending on which spot the day takes me. There's quite a bit of variety in the neighborhood, so I need to figure out how to be flexible. The bell anchor I use with the canoe might be a good way to loose every bit of tackle as well as dignity, so.... what do you use as a pole? pipe?
Cajun Paddle Tools Store

I enjoy the convenience of canjun anchors when flats fishing and came across this site that might be good for a kayak/canoe. It would not work for depths over 8 feet in my guestimate. Depending on the bottom at 35' your anchors would vary. In my experience it would depend if I was hoping to connect with structure or sand at that depth. I have not attempted to fish at those depths from anything less than a fishing boat in the Atlantic. Even then the anchor, chain and rope were very weighty...more than I would wish for in a canoe

Please keep us posted on how to anchor at 35' and fish from a canoe. You are a better fisherwoman than I could ever hope to be!!!

JMO,
Judy

jason

fear no beer
I'm usually in the flats, so less then 6 feet of water, although i will drift in deeper water.

What I use is something similar to a golf club shaft. It is flexable to an extent, so it does not damage the kayak when it moves in the water.

It is something similar to this pole in this video. I'm still working off of a laptop, or I would see if I had a picture of it.

One thing I like is we do have some fish here that seem to know they can cut the line by wrapping around the anchor line. This solves the problem as if the fish tries to wrap around the pole, I just pull it up. Same thing if I catch a fish that decides to pull me.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THqUCHKewfc]YouTube - ‪Kayak anchor "V" stake out pole‬‏[/URL]

wvbreamfisherman

Interesting! I usually use an old car generator body on a light line as an anchor for my canoe when I'm fishing. I have about 30 feet of line, but most of the places I fish aren't anywhere close to that deep.

I'f I'm trying to travel light, I have a cloth bag that I fill with sand or rocks when I get where I'm going.

perchbutt

perchbutt
Food for thought-
just took the new addition out for a ride-
second time ever in a kayak (first was sliding downhill on ice this past winter- when I decided I had to get one). It's a yellow sit-in variety- fairly stable, walks-the-dog minorly, will need to pare down the tackle somewhat but seems like it'll be good fun. The difference between the old radisson and the little yak is the difference between a '74 olds delta 88 w/ plush velour seats and an 87 plymouth horizon.
The pfd I have works good w/ the seat- will be picking up some other assorted safety gear, too.
Boy, paddling is different than rowing! Going to need some practice. This is going to be fun.