Attraction of Black Guns

3ofusnow

Okay folks, you have pushed me over the edge, in a good way. I went out and purchased a 1911 A1 Springfield Armory in ss and fancy wood grips. (cocobola sp)?
The gun has a match barrel, adjustable, sights, great trigger, etc.

I have been looking at these my whole life. This discussion has helped me see the light. A good gun is a thing to behold, no matter what its origins. John Browning has always been a hero of mine.
Merry Christmas to you! my dad has been looking at 1911's for almost two years now and hasn't been able to pick one yet! I'm afraid those are a bit too pricey for my pocket book, but we will definitely get something new around tax time. :)

Lamebeaver

Technically, the M1911 is not a black gun, but it is a classic design, years ahead of it's time. Browning was a genius.

oldsarge

For me, there is no such thing as an "assault rifle". A handgrip and folding stock does not make a gun more lethal, as a matter of fact, the same gas system used to activate the action to cycle the next round in a semi automatic duck hunting shotgun that was handed down from your grandfather is the same system in these so called "assault rifles".
The term is used to demonize and push the agenda of the anti-gun crowd.

I always find it amazing at how many people I meet at the range give me strange looks as they are banging out rounds on their bolt actions, levers or their pump rifles. Curiosity gets the best of them and we start talking. I invite them to sit at the bench and give them a try. It changes the way they are told to think about them. Especially the accuracy you can get out of them.
The only thing I could consider it making it an assault rifle would be a bayonet lug and super high capacity magazine. Other than that, I agree with your statement.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Me too, he chimed in! I remember when the Brady Bill was passed and there were very specific identifications given to "assault rifles". There was one in particular. I don't recall which but there were two models. One had a thumbhole stock, an extended magazine and a barrle shroud. It was classified as an assault rifle. The other one was a "hunting" model of the same weapon, exactly the same mechanism and capabilities. It just looked like grandpa's hunting rifle. It was left off the list. I just figured that if you're going to have people classifying weapons, there should be a prerequisite like knowing something about firearms.

catspa

The only definition I can give of an "assault" rifle (or any other tool, for that matter) is if it's being used to assault somebody. So an M4A1 used by a soldier in the sandbox for example, is an assault rifle (or more accurately, "defense rifle" under the present ROE). The mechanically identical rifle used by a competitor in High Power competitions is a "target rifle". The same rifle used to kill feral hogs is a "hunting rifle". The furniture of the rifle itself is just a detail.

I agree with Lorax that anti-gun media types have made the term popular as meaning "bad and scary", in a stupid display of fuzzy speech that can lead to fuzzy thinking. To me, words have specific meanings, and I want to use them accurately.

Parker

SpencerT

To me it's just about being sleek and modern. The assault rifles in the picture that Lamebeaver posted just to me look beautiful and dangerous. The other guns look old fashioned and I'm not a fan of that kind of look. Both are deadly regardless, but I too prefer black.

SpencerT

Are you asking me that, dinosaur? If so, I haven't been in combat, and have no desire to be. I just like the look of assault rifles. I have some imitation airsoft rifles and I enjoy them. Also they are in the video games I play. I wasn't referring to anything having to do with real combat really. I don't glorify that kind of stuff.

SpencerT

Thank you grandpa, you just made my day. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t I certainly encourage this type of behavior from all posters to show us this kind of action. Did you seriously search that? :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Grandpa

Not everyone wants a black gun. Taytum is quite happy with her pink one, and she is pretty handy with it too.

[/IMG]

CozInCowtown

Okay folks, you have pushed me over the edge, in a good way. I went out and purchased a 1911 A1 Springfield Armory in ss and fancy wood grips. (cocobola sp)?
The gun has a match barrel, adjustable, sights, great trigger, etc.

I have been looking at these my whole life. This discussion has helped me see the light. A good gun is a thing to behold, no matter what its origins. John Browning has always been a hero of mine.
The fact is "A gun is a gun" no matter how it is configured or colored.
All a gun does is send a projectile out the barrel to a (hopefully) predetermined destination. Intent of the shooter is not the fault of the gun.
I hunt with my ARs and AKs on occasion, they are fine hunting rifles.
When working overseas I had a driver who carried a 336 Marlin instead of any military weapon he had available to him. Does that make 30-30 marlins "evil" guns????
JMO,
Enjoy that fine 1911, it will give you a lifetime of good service.
I love mine!!
DC

ppine

Forester
To update this old thread, I took the Springfield Armory back to the gun shop because it had "idiot marks" after the guy field stripped it in front of me and put it back together.

I traded the the SP A1 for a used Colt Commander Mark IV and some money. The Colt is plain blue with grey rubber grips and much looser than the SA. It is reliable and suits me much better. It is a lot of fun to shoot and gives me great comfort to carry it.