Bait/Tackle Boxes

GA_gal

I'm thinking of getting my hubby a new bait and tackle box as a gift, since his is old and worn out. (He has trouble opening it now; it's like one of the hinges is bent.) Any suggestions?

briansnat

Platnium Member
There are a number of ways to go with tackle boxes these days. You have tackle bags bags that have removable trays. You have plastic boxes that have removable trays and you still have the old fashioned type with fixed trays that open when you open the lid.

It's a matter of personal preference. Personally I like removable trays, but don't like the bags because they offer little protection from water

GA_gal

I had no idea they had tackle bags, but I actually think he might like something like that. Is there a such thing as a tackle box/cooler combination? That's what he'd really like; he gets tired of carrying both whenever he goes fishing.

briansnat

Platnium Member
Actually if you go to a tackle shop these days, most of them are bags. There may be a model with a built in cooler, though something like that won't fit enough of either tackle or food/drink to be of any worth.

GA_gal

Thanks for linking me to that Plano box, but I think you're right - I don't think it would hold enough of either tackle OR drinks to really be of use to him. He doesn't have a ton of tackle but it's a fair amount he's collected over the years. I think I'll just let loose of the "cooler combo" idea and go for a box that's dedicated to tackle. Worst case scenario he can just drink his beer warm. Buzz comes quicker that way anyway!!

Cappy

I strongly recommend a box big enough to keep all his treble hooks in so they don't wind up on the seat. Funny how women never learn to look before sitting no matter how many times ya leave the lid up or lucky 13 on the seat.

CozInCowtown

Most of my fishing stuff I have had since I was a teenager including my 1960s era metal tackle box.
My thinking is "Buy the best you can afford".
I would consider shopping at Cabalas or Bass Pro Shop and put the receipt in the box.
It will mean more I think if you bought somewhere like that than at Wal Mart even if the price is a few dollars higher.
JMO,
DC