Beef stew help!

SusieQ

Looking for some advice on how to make beef stew. I make veggie beef soup but I've never tried to make stew before. What do you use to thicken the broth - you know so it's stew. When do you do this? Can I just make regular soup and then thicken it right before we eat?

Pathfinder1

Looking for some advice on how to make beef stew. I make veggie beef soup but I've never tried to make stew before. What do you use to thicken the broth - you know so it's stew. When do you do this? Can I just make regular soup and then thicken it right before we eat?

Hi...

I do all my cooking stovetop. When making beef stew, I first brown the meat on all sides (which isn't absolutely necessary). Then add water or broth and veggies.

I recommend cooking it very slowly (braising). If you require more thickening, mix a little (at a time) corn starch with a ittle cold water and add to the mix while stirring.

Happy dining...!!

campclose

You can make this in the slow cooker. I brown the meat first (both sides) and then toss in everything (veggies, onions, broth, meat, potatoes). I let it cook for hours and then about an hour before we eat I start making the broth thicker. I use a flour/water mixture.

CozInCowtown

My Beef Stew.

1 pound ground beef.
1 can Ranch Style beans.
1 can whole corn.
1 can black beans.
1 can Rotel / chili fixins.
1 package Ranch dressing mix (package of powder)
1 can water.

Brown the meat, dump in everything else, bring to boil, serve!

ponderosa

If you dredge the stew meat in a little flour before browning, and then stir in your liquid, the flour will give the broth some of that good gravy color and texture as it stews. Use less liquid than you would normally use for soup. If it isn't thick enough for you, you can always stir in a little flour or cornstarch (dissolved well in water) in the last 30 minutes or so of cooking.

Marlowe

My gal makes it in the slow cooker, too. She usually uses ground beef and cubed beef browned a little. To thicken it at the end, she makes a roux with flour and softened butter stirred together until smooth. Then she stirs it in the stew with a whisk, a little bit at a time until it's just right.

Last edited:

SusieQ

I am going to have to try all of these suggestions. Instant mashed potatoes... interesting! I can see how dipping the beef into flour first would make a good gravy. Thanks everyone for your tips.

dinosaur

troublemaker
These guys are all right. Flour and corn starch are both pretty standard for thickening agents. As an addend just remember that if you haven't added enough flour and you want the stew thicker after it is cooked, sprinkle the flour in a little at a time and stir it in to avoid adding more water you'll have to cook down. A stew is hard to wreck but adding these thickening agents the wrong way will give you little dumplings you don't want.

Cappy

When all else fails Dinty moore canned stew is about the best thing ya can get outa a can.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t I of course add hot sauce, but it has been warmed in the can on the fire grate many times on hunting trips.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I am going to have to try all of these suggestions. Instant mashed potatoes... interesting! I can see how dipping the beef into flour first would make a good gravy. Thanks everyone for your tips.
Never had much luck with adding flour or cornstarch. I always end up with a couple nasty lumps. With instant spuds, if I get a lump or two, it's just some more potatoes.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Yeah, Cappy, Dinty Moore is pretty good and if you add some rice, some tomato broth, and some cooked crawfish, it's even better.

SusieQ

I will only add it a little at a time. I imagine if you have to keep adding water (because you added to much flour) the stew would be pretty bland. Thanks for that suggestion!

I don't care for Dinty Moore beef stew. I used to eat it as a kid but for some reason I can't stomach it now.