Best Kayaking Venues

racoon

Where or what are the best rivers, parks, lakes, etc., for kayaking in your opinion? What natural environments do you like the best? I tend to like tropical swampy places the most, but I'm opened to anywhere.

jason

fear no beer
Well I've only really been in my area. I like the flats for fishing. I like to rivers to go with friends. The water is generally smoother, and the scenery is a bit better I think. Not that is bad on the flats though.

firedancer

Anywhere where they don't allow jetskis is a good place to start!
Haha, yes, this!

It's hard to pick one "best" because it depends on what you like. I enjoy slow, sandy rivers like the Wisconsin River for camping trips. The freedom to claim a sandbar for your evenings campsite is quite nice

The Buffalo River in Arkansas was also a really cool place to kayak camp for 3 days

Closer to home, Lake Michigan is a pretty fun place to paddle - my favorite are full moon paddles - watching the moon rise over Michigan and the twinkling lights of the city is quite an experience

AK Hunter

Sounds like fun, I'm new to Kayaking & can't wait until I can get a vacation to try some camping.

ppine

Forester
For overnight trips, big lakes, salt water with lots of islands and large quiet rivers. The San Juan Is, WA, Florida Keys, Lake Powell, AZ, Lake Tahoe, NV, and the Snake R, ID come to mind. Also the lakes of No ID would be spectacular, or Roosevelt Lake, WA behind Grand Coulee Dam.

Lorax

For kayaking, I like Adirondack Park, The Apostles, Pictured Rocks and the Delaware River from the dam in NY all the way to the Delaware Water Gap in PA.

Hikenhunter

When I was young, (SEEMS LIKE SUCH A LONG TIME AGO.) I did a canoe trip in the Pine Barrens in New Jersey. I remember paddleing alot of flat water and camping almost anywhere you wanted.I do not even know what part of the state the Pine Barrens are located but now that it came up I think I will see what I can find and maybe do a couple of days in the Pine Barrens.

Lorax

Southern NJ. I've never been to the pine barrens. I should have had a chance to get there when I lived in PA full time.