Bicycle camper

bobpsych

Husker camper
Ready to try it out!

Well I have the tent mounted and am hoping to try it out on a trail this weekend. I haven't weighed it but it will be interesting to see how hard it pulls on soft trail. It currently has street tires. Any of you experts out there have an opinion on what kind of tires would work best on rail trail which is mostly packed chit but can get pretty soft when wet.

Attachments

bobpsych

Husker camper
I took my rig out on a rail trail in Iowa and had a great time. Found out some fixes I need to do for my next trip but was super comfortable sleeping in it. While it slowed me down about 2mph it pulled really well, but allows me to bring all the gear I need for a two week adventure.

bobpsych

Husker camper
Here it is set up for sleeping. The trunk in the background carries all my gear and sits on top of the trailer covered by the tarp for rain.

bobpsych

Husker camper
I know what you mean! LOL It really is nice to sleep on an airmattress after a days biking. Alot better than my backpacking days. At my age I need all the comfort I can get!

oldsarge

What a great job! I think some nice balloon type mountain bike tires would soften the ride a bit and make it easier to pull in soft ground. Don't know, never tried it myself.

Swampy Dawg

That is an awesome creation!!! As I was looking at the picture with the blue tote for your gear, I wondered why you are wasting the obvious space under your sleeping platform. Some light weight aluminum or galvanized plating over your frame would provide you with a watertight storage locker under the sleeping platform.

BGreen

This is such a great thread. I've enjoyed seeing what is possible. I could use a few of these innovations on my own land here. Now all I need is a good bicycle.