Favorite Smells in the Outdoors

kat74

My favorite smell is when the rain hits down the first time after a long dry spell. That smell makes me want to eat the soil, whether am in a camp or at home, that smell reminds me of nature and when we used to run out in rain when we were young.

jbassett

The air in the morning after a fresh rain is one of my favorites. I also like cedar and pine scents.

dkramarczyk

I love the smell of a campfire or burning leaves (which works here for in autumn). I also just love the smell of fresh air. I've heard many people say that they don't understand how air has a smell, but I definitely love the smell and think people that can't smell it just have a broken nose.

mariaandrea

Freshly cut firewood, campfires, cedar trees, the musty earth smell when it just starts to rain, pine trees... And this isn't really outdoors, but we have a small closet that I store all of our camping gear in that we've used for years that has the most amazing smell that never goes away - dirt and smoke and plastic tarps and wood and musty smells all jumbled together that makes me open the door once in a while during the winter just to take a few whiffs to remind me that summer is coming. I know. Weird. But true.

april222

I love the smell of wet trees, especially cypress. Not necessarily from the rain, it could just be wet from morning dew. I don't really get to smell it any more as I have moved to an area that isn't known for cypress trees, I still get to smell other wet trees and they take me back every time.

ChadTower

Most of my favorite outdoor smells remind me of childhood.

A shed full of carp being smoked.
Torn blueberry plants when you pull a rake basket up while harvesting.
A commercial pier full of offloading fishing boats.
Torn ferns.
Tidepools in the sun.

Probably the one smell that transports my mind instantly is railroad ties. There was a small bridge right by my house as a kid that was built mostly out of those. I used to sit under that bridge, at the fast stream there, for hours and hours. Fishing, swimming, a few rites of early teen passage. The smell of railroad ties puts me right into that place at any of many points in my life up to about 17 years old.

Cappy

Peg and I were out yesturday evening till dark, scouting a local bayou for deep water brush to do some crapie fishing. The sun was setting the cicadas were singing the fish were jumping and the rich smell of the swamp was wonderful.Impossible to fully describe its, floral, earthy, fresh, green and well watery, flavored with a hint of decomposing leaves, they are tannic it all combines to make a truely unique smell. This scent speaks to my soul, and always triggers warm fuzzy pleasent memorys. Peg mentioned it first so we shut the motor down and spent several minutes drinking it in.:tinysmile_grin_t: On a side note we found several brush piles and tree tops in 10 ft of water so we will probally check them out tomorrow. It would be nice to stock up da freezer before I ship out.

twinsmommy

The fresh air, and the smell of a campfire. There is nothing better than sitting around a campfire out in the open air.

dashboardc33

The campfire smell seems to be a popular one. It is definitely one of my favorites. I love the smell of a campfire and seeing everyone cooking over the fire or relaxing next to it. I also really like the smell right after a big rain storm. It makes me feel good knowing that it is over and hoping the sun will pop out soon.

uday

I love the smell of pine trees and wet grass in the morning especially when it rained yesterday. That's what I remember on my camping days. It brings back memories.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I love the smell of that first beer opened by the campfire.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like.....victory." Robert Duval, Apocalypse Now.

ppine

Forester
Horse and mule sweat. Old smoky canvas on a sunny day. Bitterbrush in bloom. Coffee with whiskey in it. Aspen trees in summer. Pine needles.

edit- I prefer horse and mule manure, but cow manure is not unpleasant, unless it is in a feed lot. Grandpa would have liked our campsite elk hunting last year. Everything was dried out, but our tent was set up in a cattle bedding ground.

Last edited:

carmen

Smoke from the fire and the pure feeling of knowing that I am breathing fresh air. Not air in a can, not air ran through a system to get the "bad stuff" out of it but real fresh air. I would love to live up in the mountains somewhere to smell it all of the time.

Grandpa

Nothing like the odor of cow manure after a rainy day. phewwww. To you it smells terrible but to me it smells like money.:tinysmile_hmm_t: