Get there

calanta

A sibling is coming to visit me from a few states over so it made me thinking about her using her Tomtom to get here. How reliable are these GPS' when it comes to finding a good spot you might not be aware of for camping, or even hiking I guess?

firefly

I have used a GPS once. It was really great. But I think you have to have an address or something. I don`t think you could find a place without it. You could google some places near you for good hiking or camping to get the address.

2coastcamper

Since the government removed satellite Selective Availability in 2000, GPS units have increased in their accuracy tenfold. People who use them in geocaching use GPS to find small packages in the wilderness. The now can find a certain spot within three meters. The GPS unit will be more than accurate enough to find the campsite. The only variable now is user error. You have to make sure you enter the coordinates correctly.

jason

fear no beer
I use mine all the time to find parks I already know about, but have never been. I also use it when traveling. I have had very few problems with it.

That being said, built in areas and locations that are programed in there already, well, it is so so. I wanted to go to Crooms bike path last week, and that was not in there. I forgot the address for it too. It does have a lot of major places, but small get aways are a bit harder.

failghe

I use my Garmin GPS every day to find customers homes. Just type in the address and follow the directions it gives you. Although it may take you down a road you don't want to use every now and then, but it sure does beat looking at a mapbook while driving. Very accurate in my opinion.