Getting too old to camp in a tent

firefly

Oh my, I feel like I am just getting to old to camp out in a tent. I also have had back surgery and so has my husband. We tried the mattress that blows up with batteries, but our backs still hurt like the dickens the next morning. Any suggestions? I don`t want to give up camping.

Red-Blooded

My granny had the same issue. Us kids went in together and bought her one of those air up matresses off tv that have the memory foam topping. She has been using it for 3 years now and hasn't had many back troubles. They'll break ya but they are worth every dime!

Taggart

I wondered about a hammock too, but I have no idea if that would be appropriate for someone with back issues. I know in my experience sleeping in a hammock, it was great.

I'd definitely be trying to find a solution, assuming you still enjoy the other aspects of camping. How about a camping trailer with a specific mattress in it?

Live2Camp

I hear ya! We've considered getting a pop-up for that very reason. But instead we just played with the amount of air in the mattress - enough so we can't feel the ground but not so full that it feels hard. My biggesst complaint is that the mattress is so low to the ground. I'm looking at the kind that are a few feet high now.

Hope that helps?

firefly

Hey now that`s a good idea! A hammock. I never thought of that. Those are very comfy. But wait a minute, it has to fit inside my tent. I`m not sleeping outside with all the critters :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Newanderthal

I'm a youngster and those inflatable mattresses hurt my back. I don't recommend them to anyone. Look into the inflatable sleeping pads made by Thermarest. They are more firm and stable. It's a foam pad that inflates to about 2 inches thick. It offers much better support than an inflatable mattress. You can get one for about $50. And the best part is, they self-inflate. Just open the valve and unroll it. In about ten minutes, it's puffed up. I always inflate it a bit more with my mouth, but it only takes 3-4 puffs before it's ready.