hammock camping

Judy Ann

Hi Jason,
I was wondering if we could add hammock camping to our forums? Indianahiker and myself have branched out in this direction and Lomax and fridge have experience. With increasing popularity in this area it would be nice IMHO. One of the things that I really enjoy about this forum is that I don' t have to go elsewhere for information unless someone suggests a good site for a specific area of interest to camp like Linville Gorge,NC.

Thank you for your consideration!
Judy Ann

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Just my two cents worth but I think there are enough divisions already. It is going to take awhile to read what is here as it is.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

I'm a dedicated hammock hanger so I'm not against hammocks but they are just another piece of gear. They are a different type of camping but so are bivies and ground tarps.

Judy Ann

Just my two cents worth but I think there are enough divisions already. It is going to take awhile to read what is here as it is.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

I'm a dedicated hammock hanger so I'm not against hammocks but they are just another piece of gear. They are a different type of camping but so are bivies and ground tarps.
The beauty of this forum is that it is kind to newbies in whatever area they are interested in. Interests here are diverse, expertise varies and friendships develop across lines otherwise unimaginable. OBC is all inclusive, to the point that a busy person with a few minutes can check in and leave. I know that there are hammock forums, however this is my home site and I value opinions and experiences expressed here.

I''m not sure how owners make money on these forums, however this is a great site. Management does an excellent job, and to my knowledge no one has looked elsewhere because the site runs slow or is unpredictable.

Hammocks may be just another piece of gear, but to me, it is a whole new world just like camping was a year ago. If it wasn't for this forum my camping life would not be half as enjoyable. As an experienced hanger I would have thought that you would have been more eager to share your experiences. Hang around a while and enjoy this forum. We look forward to your input.
:tinysmile_shy_t:
Sincerely,
Judy Ann

Morgan

Hammocks is only a gear I carry when I go camping and I haven't tried camping just with a hammock. I don't know if I can bear the mosquitoes eating me alive while sleeping in a hammock.

Lorax

Hammocks are just another gear option. No reason why questions couldn't be asked in the regular gear section. There's plenty of people to help out with answers.

It's all gear....It's all good!

Last edited:

Chief

Labeck
At first I scoffed at hammock hangers. Then just for hoots and hollers, I got a Double ENO and tarp and set out on a trip. It was either do or die, thru trial and error I eventually had a great set up. As to the bugs, instead of a net I just fold the hammock over itself and it does the job, I only use this in the summer months with a 45 degree bag & I have had some of the best sleeping ever in the outdoors.

Judy Ann

I hear ya Chief! I'm taking mine out this week to the wilderness and hanging out for a while. Probably wouldn't bother except for I believe that there are way more trees than flat spots in Linville Gorge and fairly certain that I might miss camp at least one of the nights!!! Who knows, it might be fun. :tinysmile_tongue_t:

jason

fear no beer
I will consider it. Around the first of the year, remind me. If there is some good activity on hammock camping, I will add a section for you.

BTW, for those who never slept in a hammock, you must try it. I lost a lot of summer evenings in my youth to sleeping on one in the back yard.

The beauty of this forum is that it is kind to newbies in whatever area they are interested in. Interests here are diverse, expertise varies and friendships develop across lines otherwise unimaginable
That is the way I tried to make it. I'm not an expert hunter, but love to talk to hunters and hope one day to pick it up. But some hunting forums would belittle those who are new. Sadly that attitude is not limited to one group such as hunters, but it was the first group I thought of. I'm always willing to share what little experience and knowledge I have with those starting out.

I''m not sure how owners make money on these forums, however this is a great site. Management does an excellent job, and to my knowledge no one has looked elsewhere because the site runs slow or is unpredictable.
That is easy, right now we do not. With the except for the few dollars per month ads bring in, it is run out of pocket. The contest I have planed for this Winter all products were bought by me, usually on sale. Same with the shirts. Leads to some... interesting conversations with the wife though. She is pushing me to sell shirts and hats and other gear.

And thank you for the kind words.