Homemade or professional lures?

marky

Like most folks, I learned to fish as a kid using the good old "worm on a hook". Recently, I've been going back to my roots by reliving the good old days: making my own lures, catching my bait, etc. Sure, you probably won't catch as much as you would with a professional lure, but there's a different kind of satisfaction to catching a fish with a lure that you made with your own bare hands.

How about you? Do you make your own lures?

jason

fear no beer
I tried many years go. Sadly I am not that crafty and did not come out good. I tried making them out of wood, and just carving the shape I wanted. Maybe if I could make a mold somehow, I would try making a plastic one.

marky

Mine wouldn't win any beauty awards either, really. I'm no artist so I really just go for the simple shapes. The best I could say of them is that they're "functional". Still, I rather enjoy carving them even if they turn out a bit wonky sometimes. That's probably half the fun of fishing, for me. :)

jason

fear no beer
Most wooden lures are made out of balsa or basswood. However, finding them are difficult at best. Red or white cedar would be the next choice. I've used various woods about the house that were scraps.

As far has attaching the hooks. If I remember I used a small hook with a loop or circle at the end. I cannot recall what they are called at the moment. I used a small version of a key ring to attach the fishing hook to the lure.

Also, make sure you seal the wood before you paint it.