Hunting with "silencers"?

ChadTower

Yeah, that's part of it. I'm sure more people are going to buy silencers for other reasons than for hunting. I'm not quite as concerned about that in this context, though. I'm in the freedom camp on that one. Let people have what they want and punish those who abuse it.

This particular thread I'm thinking more about the hunting vs harvesting debate.

Grandpa

Yeah, that's part of it. I'm sure more people are going to buy silencers for other reasons than for hunting. I'm not quite as concerned about that in this context, though. I'm in the freedom camp on that one. Let people have what they want and punish those who abuse it.

This particular thread I'm thinking more about the hunting vs harvesting debate.
Well in that case go ahead and wound a few. Their brothers and sisters will finish them off and cannibalize the bodies which will give them something to eat instead of doing so much damage.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Well, I wasn't trying to debate you on that subject. I think that should be fairly obvious. There is no joy in harvesting any animal. I've always found it to be a distasteful task that simply has to be done.

A silencer could easily be seen by a bad hunter as the holy grail that would somehow magically transform him into the mighty hunter. This simply isn't true and he will discover it shortly after his investment. On the other hand he may just want to brag about having one. This is one thing that has always bothered me about aficianados. They know a lot about a particular sport. They are simply incapable of any effective performance. These are people you could hand a high-tech weapon to, and outdo them with a rock.

Hunting is a great sport but what some do not understand is that the hunt itself is exciting and fun. The kill is just something you have to do for fruition. And in my case, it puts meat on the table.

Pathfinder1

dinosaur

You may be right. Hogs are pretty smart. But I'd be willing to give it a shot, or two, or three..........

Hi...

While we're on the subject of hogs (rather than start a new thread)...I want to mention that this week Okalahoma's Governor signed into law a provision that allows trapped feral hogs to be equiped with locators and then set free...in the hope of leading hunters to the rest of the pack.

Hope this bears fruit. Every bit helps, though.