Kayaks for beginners

ghostrider

I've canoed since I was a kid but I've not yet attempted kayaking. My sister and her husband love it because there are kayaks that go with the camp they rent a couple times a year. She's got me interested but I want to find out the best type of kayak for a beginner to get. Any suggestions?

mamabear

This topic is of interest to me too. My husband has always wanted to Kayak but never taken the plunge, so to speak. I though about surprising him this Christmas with one but have no clue where to start.

wvbreamfisherman

Tough question- I'd actually recommend trying out some kayaks before you buy. If you have a local canoe/kayak livery, you can usually rent a kayak and give it a try.

As mentioned above, the kayak you will want depends to a large extent on what you plan to use it for.

ppine

Forester
Short beamy polyethylene kayaks are all the rage. They are light and cheap but kind of like buying a kids bike with training wheels. Why not skip that step and learn how to paddle a real boat with a cockpit and some speed? For lakes and easy rivers, get a boat at least 12-14 feet long, 15-17 feet is better. I like fiberglass.

wvbreamfisherman

Fiberglass is on the pricey side, so you'd want to make sure you enjoy the sport before you shell out some big $$.

I agree on the point about short, beamy boats. They are popular because of low price and good stability for a novice. They are also slow and take more effort to paddle because of their beam to length ratio.

They are fine for goofing around, but you'll want something longer and with a finer profile if you want to cruise, fish or camp out of it.

Again, your planned use will (or SHOULD) dictate they type of kayak you buy.

Try a friend's if possible, try rentals, talk to people that are already doing the sort of activity you have in mind.

bsmit212

I normally advise starting off in a good, real kayak as ppine said, used boat. This helps to cut start-up cost while still getting a good boat. Then after a couple of year, if you are still into the sport that is when you shell out the big money for a new one.

jason

fear no beer
Go out and try some. That is the best way find out what you like. I can tell you I enjoy my Malibu Stealth 14 because I can stand up on it and sight fish, get in and out easily in the water, holds my weight plus some, and other things that make it enjoyable to me. Others may find it too heavy, too wide and too slow.

In the end, it is what you want to do with it. I'm sure people will be willing to give you advice on what to look for when it comes to certain tasks. But in the end, it is what makes you happy, so spend a little money and try some out.

LunaticFringeInc

Fiberglass is on the pricey side, so you'd want to make sure you enjoy the sport before you shell out some big $$.

I agree on the point about short, beamy boats. They are popular because of low price and good stability for a novice. They are also slow and take more effort to paddle because of their beam to length ratio.

They are fine for goofing around, but you'll want something longer and with a finer profile if you want to cruise, fish or camp out of it.

Again, your planned use will (or SHOULD) dictate they type of kayak you buy.

Try a friend's if possible, try rentals, talk to people that are already doing the sort of activity you have in mind.
The best advice you could ever get!

Been kayaking for years now and I started off with one of those beamy short recreational kayaks and soon ditched it in short order for a Ocean Kayak Prowler 13. an what a huge difference!!! Im now looking at the Trident 15 or the Hobie Adventure for my next upgrade. I mainly fish from mine though.

Dont shy away from a kayak that is narrow beam wise and feels a little on the tippy side. Just like a bike once you get used to it and dont need the training wheels you will find that you can easily stay balanced and not tip over. I have taken fish up to 100 lbs in the ocean and have yet to tip my yak.

Spring for a good paddle too, it will make a huge difference in you level of enjoyment. A good paddle will allow you to paddle longer distances with less effort and fatigue. While a carbon fiber paddle is great they are also expensive and not really needed. A good paddle in the 100 dollar range will serve you well. The 30 dollar or so aluminum paddle really leave a lot to be desired.

A good high back seat with plenty of lumbar support and a nice cushy gel seat will make extended time in the yak a lot more comfortable too. The seat is not a good place to cut corners when shopping for a yak.

The areas where you plan to use your Yak will have a profound effect on the models of Yak that will be most suitable in your area. Short beamy yaks work best on small waters. Long skinny yaks work best on big waters and long trips. Going BTB's? Look for a yak about 13-16ft with a good bit of rocker. If your fishing from it make sure you can get your rod tip past and around the front of the boat. If not on a big fish your likely to take an unplanned swim.

Last edited:

Newanderthal

Short beamy polyethylene kayaks are all the rage. They are light and cheap but kind of like buying a kids bike with training wheels. Why not skip that step and learn how to paddle a real boat with a cockpit and some speed? For lakes and easy rivers, get a boat at least 12-14 feet long, 15-17 feet is better. I like fiberglass.
oldtowncanoe.com

Old Town makes great canoes and kayaks. They're durable and inexpensive. The Vapor kayaks are great for beginners.

If you buy cheaper than Old Town, you'll probably be buying junk (pelican kayaks, for instance, warp after a couple months and won't move in a straight line)

Penelope

My husband has always been interested in kayaking. Every year we look at the kayaks and consider purchasing one. Maybe one of these days we will actually break out the bank and buy one. Only time will tell!

ChadTower

If you're not sure you can get a couple of Sea Eagle inflatables and find some calm water. I have four SE330s and they're a great value. They perform well and are more versatile than one would think.