Meet Cappy

jason

fear no beer
A little late but I feel well worth the wait. Lets meet Cappy. A great man with an even better story to tell. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Tell us a little about yourself?

Born deep in the heart of Cajun country to a couple of poor, hard working, conservative, Catholic Cajun parents, I had the kind of childhood that would make Huck Finn jealous Running barefoot on the bayou and paddling a boat before I could ride a bike. Cajun folks are very family orientated, so I learned a lot from extended family; a deep love of the outdoors and all the glorious creations God had created for us, was instilled in me from early on. After high school I went to college 'cause it's what my folks wanted me to do. I worked my way through college working in the oil fields and on boats when I could. Graduated 8 years later debt free and searched for a job. Went back to work on a boat cause das all I could find. 6 months later I got moved to the office and spent 8 years in the Monday-through-Friday "coat and tie ladder climbing", back-stabbin', credit stealing, dog-eat-dog corporate world; car expense account, secretary, power lunches, etc. I hated it all. I aint no quitter, but finally after 8 years, I realized if I continued this on track I would have a miserable life. The next step up the "ladder" required me to move out of my beloved BAYOU COUNTRY AND GO LIVE IN A CONCRETE CORPORATE JUNGLE. I turned it down 3 times 'til I finally had enough and told my boss to either put me back on the boats or I would go work for someone else on the boats. Well, it's 20 years later and I have NO regrets. If there were 'do-overs', I would've stayed on the boats the first time, but I am a very happy Cappy. Being a hard-working, hard-playing, life-loving cappy, I used my weeks off to camp, "road trip", etc., and have done lots of it. 12 years ago Peg entered my life and tamed this crusty ole bachelor. Now we are inseparable perrenial honeymooners. Laughing and playing and loving our way through life. I turned 55 a few days ago and couldn't be happier.

When did you start spending time outdoors?

Around 2 weeks after I was born I was born into a simpler time; a generation behind the rest of the world. Living in bayou country we had no air-conditioning and my first "play pen" was under our house. It was cool and full of dirt and adventure. Hound dogs and other critters were playmates. Soon as I was old enough, I wandered further afield to levees and woods and bayou banks. Brought on hunting, camping trips since before I could remembe. As I learned to walk and talk, I learned about nature and natural conservation. Being in a fresh water swamp, fishing was a large part of life, and my family were patient teachers. Not only passing on their knowledge of fishing, but knowledge and stories about the wonderful enviroment I still call home.

What is your earliest memories of the outdoors?

Looking back over 50+ years, it's hard to be sure what my first memory is, but there is no doubt it was about the outdoors. I have given this some thought and think my earliest memory is of my Great-grandfather giving me my first Fishing pole of my own. I couldn't have been older than 4 and I remember him taking me outside and bringing me to his tool shed. I remember being kinda scared 'cause the shed was strictly off limits. In my mind's eye I see the shed's door slowly creaking open to reveal a closed-faced spin cast rod and reel, and I can still hear his gravely voice saying, "Dis is for you, son". It's a treasured memory revisited often in my dreams. The old man died a few years later, and I can't wait to get to Heaven and tell him what a young boy didn't say; just how much I loved and appreciated our time together. I carry his love and lessons, stories and the treasured memories I have of who he was with me always.

Did you have any mentors when learning your outdoor activity?

As mentioned before, I come from a very close-knit family. My Great-grandfather, Grandfather, and uncles all played a part in my love of the outdoors. My father's family were more into the swamps, living off the land, and my mother's family were farmers, and so I learned lots from both of them. More than anyone else though, my father was my mentor and greatest teacher. He instilled in me a deep respect for nature and taught me everything I know about living and life philosophy. I followed him everywhere, through swamps, woods and fields, as he taught me what he learned from his grandfather. Wood lore, tracking, both fish and game, above all, he gave me my love for the outdoors.

Did you have any mentors when learning your outdoor activity?

As mentioned before, I come from a very close-knit family. My Great-grandfather, Grandfather, and uncles all played a part in my love of the outdoors. My father's family were more into the swamps, living off the land, and my mother's family were farmers, and so I learned lots from both of them. More than anyone else though, my father was my mentor and greatest teacher. He instilled in me a deep respect for nature and taught me everything I know about living and life philosophy. I followed him everywhere, through swamps, woods and fields, as he taught me what he learned from his grandfather. Wood lore, tracking, both fish and game, above all, he gave me my love for the outdoors.

What was your least favorite moment?

Ya don't spend as much time as I have in the Outdoors without collecting a bunch of these kinda stories as well. My Dad always said without the bad times ya wouldn't appreciate the good times. One story that comes to mind is a paddling trip with a cousin through the swamps. The fish were biting and we stayed in the swamps a lil too late and wound up paddling back to our base camp after dark. We eased through the thick cyprus swamp, making our way back to the bayou that led to our camp. It was very dark, we couldn't see the sky and if it werent for an old oil field pump we could hear way off in the distance we couldn't have known the direction to go. We could hear the old 2-cylinder engine running and backfiring occasionally in the distance, and kept the sound behind us and eased through the big cypress trees in the shallow swamp. Picking our way through the cypress knees and easing through the swamp, we didn't see the big wasp nest hanging low over the water and paddled right into it. The big angry red wasps attacked and stung us up pretty bad. It was a long couple hours later when we finally pulled up at camp stung and swollen.

What is your favorite outdoor activity?

My favorite outdoor activity is being outdoors. That aint a good answer though, so if I hafta choose, it has to be sitting in a boat with a fly rod. Casting a big popping bug for Bass; I never tire of it and the feeling ya get when ya see the water explode around ya popper and feel the tug on the line is indescribable. When ya have a fish on the line on a fly rod there aint nothin between you and the fish but string, no big winch with drag and geer ratio. It's just you, string and the fish. It's no doubt about it, the most fun that I can have with my clothes on.

Do you have a dream trip that you would like to take?

Peg and I love to say that we don't dream, we plan. Working the way I do, we get 2 weeks off, out of every 6 weeks and that gives us the opportunity to go and do whatever we want. From 4000 mile road trips to 5 minute trips to the boat ramp, we do all the things we want. There is one thing I have in the back of my mind though, and that's a canoe trip to a very remote place deep in the Atchafalaya Basin. It would only be accessable with a shallow draft boat and even then, the way may be 'growed over' and blocked with fallen trees. It would be 3 days in, or that could maybe be reduced to 2, if ya loaded the canoe on our fishing boat and motored half way in 'till ya couldn't go anymore, then paddled. I aint tellin' where or naming waterways 'cause it is truely remote and quite possibly only known to 5 or so living souls. On the bank of a lake in the swamp are 3 Indian mounds that aren't on maps. The lake is deep and clear, which is an oddity in the swamp and the reason it is clear is there is an artesian spring bubbling up between the Indian mounds. The last time I was there I was still in high school. The place is truely paradise. I look forward to seeing it again and hope to set up camp on the big one with a flat top and hang around for awhile. I aint one of those "chicken littles", one of those doomsday preppers, but if it ever really hits the fan, das were I would go.

Have you ever made your own equipment?

This one is kinda tough to answer. Part of outdoor life is improvisation. Ya can't survive trips in the field without being able to make stuff to get by. Simple as cutting a forked stick to stick a weenie on, to making trot lines, fish traps, snares, cook stands, tent pegs, improvising branches for lantern stands, pot hooks...the list is almost endless. Necessity being the mother of invention is the rule in the field. As far as something to be used trip after trip..... not so much.

Who is your best outdoor partner?

This one is a 'no brainer' and it's a good thing 'cause I aint nevvah been accused of bein a brainiac. Most of yall already know the answer; it's Peggy. If I gotta broaden the list, it then goes to my 2 Godsons(currently in the Marine Corp) or any of my stepkids or grandkids. I do my best to instill in all of them a love of nature and respect for God's creations.

Who would you like to take a trip with most?

Does '"dead people" count? 'Cause my answer is my ancestors; I sure hope when I get to Heaven we will be able to do some camping together. Jesus liked fishermen; maybe He would come along, too. Other than folks mentioned in the last post, the answer is: anyone with knowledge to share. I would happily share my boat or campfire with many of you guys. I love hearing about new places and learning new things. That's why I am here on this Forum.

What is your favorite getaway place?

This is a place I will tell yall about 'cause its not unknown. It is a bayou in the NW corner of the Atchafalaya Basin. It can be accessed off of highway 190 between Krotz Springs, Louisiana and Port Barre. It is called "2 o'clock Bayou". Back in the day, the whole Achafalaya Basin forestry was clear cut and many folks will tell ya there aren't any old growth cyprus left. The woods ya see in pictures are only about 100 years old, as almost all of the trees were removed in the deforestation that took place lo' those many years ago. Back then the trees were floated out of the swamp, dragged by oxen and all cut, leveled to the ground. There are precious few old growth trees left, but they do exist. Bayou 2 oçlock was too narrow and shallow to log, so the trees were left there and it is a small remaining example of the swamp as it was in the time of my ancestors. If I gotta get away, or really heal and talk to the Lord that's where I would go.

Parting words or advice for members?

The Cajun life-style is summed up in 3 little words "Joy of life". Our biggest enemy is complacency. Life passes by in a fleeting moment; if ya don't believe it, ask an old person. Enjoy every moment. Live like if it came to an end tomorrow you would have no regrets. People pass by glorious sights every day and don't stop to appreciate them. Don't be that way. My Dad had a saying "A moment wasted is gone forever, a moment savored can be a memory for a lifetime". Take time to watch the sunsets, smell the flowers, marvel in the amazing intricate, varied Masterpiece that can be found in your own yard. Above all, take time to appreciate the precious Gift that is life itself.

dinosaur

troublemaker
So you just turned 55. You're a boy. I'll be 64 this May. I may be a Nawthaner but I come by it honest and I learned a lot from my Suthan kinfolk. I like you, Cappy. Let's keep it that way, youngun.

Cappy

Thanks Guys, it was kinda tough answering Jason's questions, but I found it kinda thought provoking. Almost therapudic, also as I wrote and Peg helped with the editing we took some notes for future blog posts. We toy with the idea of maybe writing books some day. This kinda got us to thinking. I would recomend any one thinking about their own answers, it's hard to roll a life time into a few short paragraphs, and I find there are whole chapters I didnt mention cause they didn't pertain, like what a big part music plays in my life. For instance. I was truelly honered to be asked and hope yall enjoy the peek into my life.

jason

fear no beer
Thanks Guys, it was kinda tough answering Jason's questions, but I found it kinda thought provoking. Almost therapudic, also as I wrote and Peg helped with the editing we took some notes for future blog posts. We toy with the idea of maybe writing books some day. This kinda got us to thinking. I would recomend any one thinking about their own answers, it's hard to roll a life time into a few short paragraphs, and I find there are whole chapters I didnt mention cause they didn't pertain, like what a big part music plays in my life. For instance. I was truelly honered to be asked and hope yall enjoy the peek into my life.

Always looking for more questions, if you or anyone else has any.

charley

Cappy, I really enjoyed your writings although not much was surprizing. You are the person you are and it comes through your posts. Some good reading and keep thinking about writing, you have a lot to share.