Must-Have Accessories for This Year's Hunt

rachaelmurphey

When it's finally the time of the year to hunt again, one of the most important things you can do is prepare yourself. Fortunately, this is easy with all of the new products that come out every year, many of them making this activity more enjoyable and interesting. Even if you've been hunting for years and have it all, you still might be interested in some must-have accessories for this year. Some of the most notable include:

1. Head Lamp
You can use a head lamp to help you find a great hiding spot in the dark, all without having to carry a flashlight. I use a Petzl Compact, but there are dozens of others on the market as well.

2. Shooting Rest
Rather than relying on branches or other props for stability, consider using a shooting rest that digs into the ground or sits on the stand to keep your arm steady. Lightweight carbon-fiber models are easy to find, and can make a huge difference in your marksmanship.

3. Gun Case
Safety is the most important aspect of the hunt, which is why a gun case is a must-have for any hunter. Growing up we would put our rifles in a zippered cloth bag and throw them in the back of the truck, but this can cause expensive damage to the scope or trigger, especially when encountering rough terrain. Anymore I use hardigg cases to protect and secure all my firearms.

4. Compact Saw
Cleaning and transporting your kill is probably the least enjoyable part of the hunt (unless you’re weird). A compact such as the SagenSaw will allow you to cut through game with ease, all without having to carry around a full-size saw in your bag. This easily fits into a holding case and is compact for easy carrying on any hunting expedition.

5. Scent-Control Solutions
Due to the fact that your scent can seep into your clothing and give away your presence to wild game, it's important to consider scent control. In addition to musk, consider getting a scent-controlled box to place your street clothes, and try to stay down-wind if you can.
Making Your Hunting Checklist

What do you need for your next hunt? What gear do you consider mandatory when you go out? And can I get it at the Black Diamond Gear Swap?

Last edited by a moderator:

Grandpa

For deer hunting, (which I didn't do this year) I need a sharp knife, my rifle, and a couple of shells. We had a nice 4x4 stealing Apple's all summer but one deer lasts grandma and I two years now. All the grandkids were too busy with school and football. My son lives in Colorado and is elk hunting right now. He will be carrying most of the gear you mentioned Rachael.

rachaelmurphey

For deer hunting, (which I didn't do this year) I need a sharp knife, my rifle, and a couple of shells. We had a nice 4x4 stealing Apple's all summer but one deer lasts grandma and I two years now. All the grandkids were too busy with school and football. My son lives in Colorado and is elk hunting right now. He will be carrying most of the gear you mentioned Rachael.
I live in Colorado!! Where does your son go for elk hunting?

Also, I'm always looking for cleaner, easier ways to clean a deer (I assume that's what your knife is for). Do you have any tips?

Grandpa

Also, I'm always looking for cleaner, easier ways to clean a deer (I assume that's what your knife is for). Do you have any tips?
My son lives in FoCo but he is hunting west near Meeker.

ppine

Forester
Some dependable equipment is a good idea for hunting especially in cold late fall weather. What I look for are dependable hunting partners that will come find me if I don't show up one night. Skill is what hunters need more than anything. Think like the critters you are chasing. Be up when they are, learn to track, and learn their habits. Get in shape. There are some great hunters out there that take most of the good game animals year after year. It has little to do with equipment.

I used to work with a guy that hunted antelope with a muzzleloader as a case in point. He was a long distance runner and would run them down using the topography. Then he would sneak to within 25 yards or less and make a kill shot. He had some very large antelope skulls on his fence over 17 inches. I asked him one day "when are you going to mount one of these?" "When I get a big one" he replied.

Grandpa

oops, He hunted north of Hayden. But his new hunting partner didn't work out so they came back after 3 days. A quick call to Dad, and now here I sit at 10000 feet in a rain storm helping him hunt. Owl mountain, SE of Gould.

ppine

Forester
Having a hunting partner "that does not work out" is one of life's little disasters. All of that anticipation and then some people are too drunk, too inexperienced or too unsafe to stay out there with. I always loved hunting with my Dad and two brothers.

rachaelmurphey

I hate that too. Hunting is like a party - no matter how much fun it is, you don't want to go alone.

I was hunting with my friend and a deer surprised her. We must have been less than 30 yards from the thing and it was just STANDING THERE! She pulled out her rifle and quickly loaded it and fired, but she pulled the trigger a bit early and she didn't QUITE get the stock seated properly. Now she has a gorgeous moon-shaped scar around her right eyebrow.