New state park passport system in place

jason

fear no beer
Holland, MI —
Michigan’s new system for collecting state park fees through recreation passports is entering its first summer season.

Instead of buying a $24 annual pass at the gate like last summer, Michigan residents can purchase a $10 passport while renewing their license plates.

A passport is needed to enter a park, but parks staff will scan cars for the passports in parking lots instead of checking for them at the gate.

Car owners do have a little leeway during the transition. Visitors who don’t renew their plates until August, for example, won’t need a passport until that month.

But in April, everyone with renewals from October 2010 to April 2011 will need a passport.

“If your car was due to be registered anywhere from the present month back to October, then you need a recreation passport to be in a state park,” Michigan Department of Natural Resources spokesman Ron Olson said.

more New state park passport system in place - Holland, MI - The Holland Sentinel

DThewanderer

I think that is a great idea, to purchase them while getting your plates renewed. What about people who are out of state? Will there still be a manned gate so that they can get a one time pass if they want to?

Ilovelife

They will have to do something about that. They can't make the parks off limits for out of state people. Either you pay at the door, or they will make it free for out of state people. I don't know which one they will do.

thymas

Interesting idea, Michigan. I can see this offer with license plate renewal bringing in some good state revenue...and it will be attractive to residents because it's a discount off the normal price. I don't think there's any way to stop out-of-state people from visiting....maybe the people who scan the parking lot can leave a ticket/note about where to pay (if there's not a pay station at the front of the park.)