Part One - Weekend Report

Northern Dancer

4032 4033

Training weekend for new youth leaders started Friday 14th. It was like summer, but as you can see by the second picture nature wasn't ready to take the plunge. There were thirty people present; trainers and participants - a great group and lots of laughs. The private lake on the site was blue, blue, blue, and cold, cold, cold. No, I didn't go swimming - but to kick the season off I put one toe into the water.

So what's with the tent? I used my A-frame with lots of headroom. At the far end is my cot, with a 4-inch mattress, and a warm sleeping bag. [The nights were cold.] To your left is my table with storage bins. I had water and a hiker's stove, plus a wash basin to shave in the morning. There is a fold-up rug on the floor to keep my feet warm when I hop out of bed and to protect and keep the floor clean. I have a chair with an attached table to the right. What you can't see is a coat rack. There is a mud rug outside the tent to clean my shoes and then I change into my tent sleepers that are warm and comfortable.

The only sounds at night I heard were the sounds of silence and coyotes having a howling match in the distance. Other than that I slept like a contented bear, ate like a hungry horse, and had fun like a "kid".

The Association awarded me with a Leader's Woodcraft Extreme patch in recognition of my skill level. I'd say we had a very successful weekend.