'This guy is probably about as true a survivalist as Davy Crockett'

jason

fear no beer
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Troy James Knapp is a wanted man, a mountain recluse authorities say is responsible for more than two dozen cabin burglaries in the remote southern Utah wilderness. He's considered armed and dangerous, a ticking time bomb.

It took at least three years for authorities to identify him from fingerprints lifted from vacation homes near Zion National Park.

Now, they just have to catch him. Knapp remains somewhere in roughly 1,000 square miles of wilderness, a virtual ghost in the woods stocked with stolen gear, food and guns.
"This guy is probably about as true a survivalist as Davy Crockett," Supervisory Deputy U.S. Marshal Michael Wingert told The Associated Press.

more 'This guy is probably about as true a survivalist as Davy Crockett' | KEPR CBS 19 - News, Weather and Sports - Pasco, WA | - Pasco, Washington | National & World News

Grandpa

I recently read about him as well. He seems to be getting bolder and nastier. They recently found one of his stash sites where he had food, guns and ammo stored. All were stolen from cabins though.

carmen

That is a little scary to think about, being robbed is no joke (whether you are there when it happens or not). I hope they catch this joker soon, the things he is racking up on make me wonder his stability even on his own.

ppine

Forester
This guy reminds me of Claude Dallas. There have always been plenty of people that drop out of regular society. They used to be called trappers. I would not be afraid of a guy like that. You just can't pressure those kind of people.

Claude Dallas had a long record of break-ins if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

Grandpa

This guy reminds me of Claude Dallas. There have always been plenty of people that drop out of regular society. They used to be called trappers. I would not be afraid of a guy like that. You just can't pressure those kind of people.
Big difference between this guy and Dallas. Dallas was a loner but had a lot of friends and was not into robbing etc. Dallas would have got off with self defense had he not put the last bullet into Pogue and Ems.

jason

fear no beer
If he did not have a criminal record and previous charges of assault with a dangerous weapon I would agree. But since he does, I would prefer to stay way.

Lamebeaver

I'm sure Davey Crockett wasn't as "pure as snow" as legends depict...after all, he did serve in Congress, but I don't believe he snuck around breaking into houses either.

This guy is just another one of those people who claim to love freedom, while living off of the hard work of others. He's just a common criminal with good woodcraft skills.

Greatoutdoors

Interesting! This is the first I have heard of this guy, but I definitely don't want an introduction. Hopefully, the authorities will catch up to him soon, but it sounds like an armed standoff is in the cards if they catch up to this one.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Yes, I've read a few items about him. If he isn't caught this summer, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets caught this winter (tracks).

IMuO, he appears to be getting a little careless, from what I've read.

Maybe if that wanna be cop gets on his trail...!!

ponderosa

They have identified the suspect, and I hope next to read that he's in custody. I don't find anything admirable or respectable about this guy's version of "survivalist" lifestyle. He's another authority-hating thug who happens to like to camping, (but seems to prefer the comforts of someone else's cabin).

Waynefire

I have read about this in the paper. Did they ever catch him? I was curious because I seen a quick flash in the news about it, but never seen anything after that. I would think with that many miles he may be hiding away and not get caught, but you never know.