Turkey Hunting

OutTheBackDoor

Has anyone ever shot a turkey? We have them by the dozens up our hollow and they are driving me crazy. When we drive out of our hollow, we have to wait until they walk out of the way so we can pass. I know I have to wait for turkey season, but there is one big old tom turkey that's going to get his when it's time. I don't know how they taste but he is driving me crazy gobbling around my bedroom window early, early in the morning.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Ted

I'm not fond of wild turkey. They are pretty much tough and too gamy tasting for me. The only part I even remotely tolerate is the turkey breast and it's not that great.

smallgame

It really depends on how they are cooked. Americans have gotten used to the "Thanksgiving" Turkey that has been breeded for the white meat and bigger breast. Wild turkey's have a smaller breast. Wild turkeys require more work to cook I think. But are well worth it.

Guy

Remember to try to shoot him in the head if possible. I don't know that it really matters, but I heard somewhere that you don't really want to eat the area that the bullet goes through. It may have something to do with lead contamination, I am not sure.