Water parks?

campclose

We are going camping in July to Old Forge, NY. It’s me and 2 other friends and their kids. No men! The reason we picked this campsite is that it’s right next door to an outdoor water park. The kids really wanted to go to this park.

Our spouse’s said camping isn’t water parks, it’s camping, biking, walking all inside the campground. I think it’s ok to go to the water park. I think it mixes things up a bit. Sure we love to camp and do all the “camping” activities, but there isn’t anything wrong with this once in a while. What do you think?

The way I see it is, camping is cheaper than a hotel for 2 nights for the park. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

jason

fear no beer
I say if it makes you happy then go for it. I see nothing wrong with that. Even better if it keeps the kids happy.

failghe

I agree camping is whatever you make of it. I go camping to relax but most of the time end up doing stuff all day. Sometimes we camp at night but the day we spend touring the countryside by car.
The water park idea is a great way to get the kids out camping :)

2coastcamper

Now, I see the men's point. Going to the water park is technically NOT camping. But no one said when you go camping, all you must do is camping. I know friends who go camping on Mount Tam up here in California, and during the day they go explore the mountain towns, hit up a tavern or even drive down to the beach ... none of which are camping. I see camping as an activity you can do with your time off, which is exactly what going to the water park is. There should be no rule saying you can't mix two awesome activities.

I'll have to be honest, I wouldn't want to leave the camping area to visit a water park. And it sounds like your husbands don't want to either. That's their choice, but it's also your choice to go. Not everyone had to like -- or participate in -- every activity. I think your families made a great compromise.

campclose

:tinysmile_fatgrin_t We usually camp to camp. Sure there are many fun activities that we do on each camping trip. They are all on the campground. I guess this one is just different.

I had to laugh when they asked how we would start a fire and cook. Look we don't already cook? :tinysmile_hmm_t: I've been practicing my fire starting skills out back. It's not like it's Survivor and you only have flint.

I think we are going to have so much fun!

justontime

We are going camping in July to Old Forge, NY. It’s me and 2 other friends and their kids. No men! The reason we picked this campsite is that it’s right next door to an outdoor water park. The kids really wanted to go to this park.

Our spouse’s said camping isn’t water parks, it’s camping, biking, walking all inside the campground. I think it’s OK to go to the water park. I think it mixes things up a bit. Sure we love to camp and do all the “camping” activities, but there isn’t anything wrong with this once in a while. What do you think?

The way I see it is, camping is cheaper than a hotel for 2 nights for the park. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Who cares if it is not technically camping, we do all these things for fun, for our own enjoyment and to be honest some of my best memories are of watching my children have fun on family outings, camping trips or whatever. Your spouse's will be missing out, I hope you have a great time.

Taggart

I think it sounds like a good plan to mix some camping with going to the water park, especially if it's the first time for anyone going.

I'd say it's a combination of two popular family outings, and I bet the prices of the hotels and motels near the water park are higher than normal because they're close to the attraction.

calanta

Having little ones is always fun, esp. where their are going to be less adult eyes keeping over them and making sure no one gets bored. I think its a great idea as long as everyone remembers to wear sun screen!

HereToday

I love to watch kids absolutely bonkers with joy when they get to hit a water, or some other kind of amusement park. I agree that camping is whatever you say it is. Remember your sunblock:tinysmile_twink_t2:!

campclose

:tinysmile_fatgrin_t We have already planned 4 other "real camping" trips for the summer. I bet they will all be fun. I can't wait to try this place out. We have never camped in this area before.

Yes it's much cheaper here than the local hotels. We are taking the big camper too, so not setting up tents, no popping up the camper either. It's park and go!

justontime

Go and have a good time, take lots of photos/video's and show the men what they missed. I bet they will be keen to join in next time!

Tomboy

I think that there is absolutely nothing wrong with hitting the water park for a day. It will provide some fun for you and the kids and your absolutely right that staying in a campsite is a whole lot cheaper than ahotel. When you camp, you take advantage of exploring the area you're in. Have fun!

campclose

You see, usually we don't leave the campground. Unless of course we planned on it, sightseeing, etc. I like to camp and stay in the campgrounds and do the activities they have there.
This is going to be different and tons of fun I hope.
We just learned that when you purchase 1 day at the park you get the second free. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

campclose

:tinysmile_cry_t4: Oh no, we got together last night for a cookout, swimming party. It was the 2 friends that I am camping with this coming weekend.

The guys thought it would be fun to let us start the fire for the night for roasting marshmallows.

I think we need a lot more practice... it took forever and it wasn't a great fire.

I hope we don't freeze!

campclose

Well we went and camped last weekend and it was just "ok". Leaving the men home was alright. We had to do a lot more work without them though.
Then to top it off it rained (poured) and thundered and lightening almost all afternoon and into the night on Saturday! Not much time at the water park.

I'd say it was probably the worse camping trip in many years for us.