Wd 40

Grandpa

Starting fluid is highly flammable, why would you use it around electrical components. I know it evaporates quickly, but isn't it kind of taking a chance?
And why are you in there if the power is still on? It evaporates in seconds. Give it a minute before restoring power.

oldsarge

And why are you in there if the power is still on? It evaporates in seconds. Give it a minute before restoring power.
Yes...but in the case of a distributor cap where it may collect and puddle, it only takes a small amount to blow the cap off. Residual fumes are hard to disperse even if it's dry. Just saying that I wouldn't take the chance!

Birddog

I can take a open faced reel that I haven't fished with for a long time and spray some on the line and it casts like brand new line.people down here that fish in salt water have been using it for years.

ChadTower

The primary ingredient (over 50%) is a mineral spirit presumed to be a Stoddard solvent. Think along the lines of turpentine. Nobody outside of the manufacturer knows the exact ingredients of WD-40 because it is not patented. The company releases a "chemical safety" breakdown on the product sonly because if it didn't nobody would use it industrially.

Spraying WD-40 on your fishing line is basically water pollution. If WD-40 has fish oil in it that would have to fall in the "10% inert" part of the ingredients.

Barney

I sometimes use it to oil my tools when chopping wood. It penetrates material better with WD40. It is one of the greatest additions to the tool maintenance kit.

AK Hunter

Starting fluid is highly flammable, why would you use it around electrical components. I know it evaporates quickly, but isn't it kind of taking a chance?
Spray electrical cleaner is mostly alcohol which is highly flammable too, but the instructions say it is safe. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Laffeet

I use it to take off stickers or gummy residue that's left from stickers. It works as good as any of the goo removers I've tried. And I spray the reels after rinsing them with fresh water after every use in salt water.