What size ATV to buy

Marshmallow

My nephew got a 4-wheeler when he was about 8 and now he says the one he has is too little. He wants another one. What size is the best to buy that will serve him now and later? We hate shelling out all that money for something he'll outgrow again in a few years.

ppine

Forester
Who is the parent in the relationship? Talk to someone at a dealership or some friends, then use your judgement to decide if he really needs a new one. Wants and needs are usually very different.

Edit- Buy used ones and plan on trading up. The age of 8 seems early to trust a kid with a machine. I would make him stay on the one he has for quite a while, and make sure his riding is supervised. We built go carts and motor bikes with old lawn mower engines that were very unsafe. If 8 year olds got their way, we would all eat candy and ice cream for dinner.

Last edited:

SmokeyJoe

I honestly would buy him the largest one that he can fit. In other words, that he can shift gears, work the brakes and sit on the seat. That way, instead of growing out of it, he'll grow into it first. It's better to have something that's bigger than what you need rather than that's smaller than what you need, IMO.

plsargent

What size is he on now? A 50 or 90 those are the small ones. We got my son his first quad at age 2 and rode on it with him, when he was around three and a half or four we started letting him ride alone with the leash, he is now almost six and the 50 still fits him fine. I would say bump him up to a 90 and he should be good for a while. I know the raptor 50 are a much larger framed bike with less power, the Polaris 90 are a very large framed bike for younger kids and that would probably last him a while.

carmen

He is 8 now? How tall is he and how much does he weigh? I know that is about the time my sisters son wanted a new one but he was stuck in that tiny stage of no growth spurt so he had to wait longer than he wanted to before the could bump him up.