Who has the toughest hunting laws?

Wild Bill

I was just wondering if anyone knew what areas, in the United States and worldwide, are the most difficult to get a hunting license. What sort of laws keep a person from getting a license and what are the consequences for breaking one or several of the laws?

2coastcamper

I don't actually know ... so my answer is slightly sarcastic and mostly a guess. But, I'm thinking Antarctica. I imagine it's pretty tough to get a hunting license to hunt penguins and whales.

But in seriousness ... my other guess would be safari hunting in Africa. I've talked to a few people who have hunted lions and what-not in Africa. All I know is that the trip was about $40,000.

justontime

In UK you have to be checked by police and have either a firearms certificate (one for each firearm) or a shotgun certificate. You have to have good reason to have a gun and be of good character. They have to prove your ID, have two referencer of good character, written permission from your doctor, and a face to face interview with the police. There are rules about how it has to be stored too and the locked storage unit has to be inspected by the police. If you break the law even unknowingly there is a mandatory prison sentence of 5 years and an uncapped fine. The police check up on you each time you have to renew the certificate

kernow

In UK we don't have any hang ups about the right to own a gun as in USA. We have very strict laws and mainly it is just farmers and gamekeepers who have guns. They have had to pass special legislation to allow the shooting classes to go ahead at the Olympics.

2coastcamper

In UK we don't have any hang ups about the right to own a gun as in USA. We have very strict laws and mainly it is just farmers and gamekeepers who have guns. They have had to pass special legislation to allow the shooting classes to go ahead at the Olympics.
Could you imagine the football hooligans if the UK has the same gun laws as the U.S., and almost anyone could get a sidearm?

justontime

Could you imagine the football hooligans if the UK has the same gun laws as the U.S., and almost anyone could get a sidearm?
Football hooligans are largely a thing of the past thank goodness; we have so draconian laws to deal with them too! Sadly unlawful gun ownership is an issue associated with gang culture, it is not as big a problem as in USA but we have had a few very sad and pointless shootings of young men/teenagers. As far as I know guns have never been an issue associated with football.

2coastcamper

Football hooligans are largely a thing of the past thank goodness; we have so draconian laws to deal with them too! Sadly unlawful gun ownership is an issue associated with gang culture, it is not as big a problem as in USA but we have had a few very sad and pointless shootings of young men/teenagers. As far as I know guns have never been an issue associated with football.
So, are there many unlawful guns in the UK? It's a touchy subject over here, as the right to own a fun is among the first set to paper in this country an no one wants to start giving up freedoms. That being the case, almost anyone can buy one. Because of that supply, there seems to be an endless supply of illegal guns as well. I'm wondering if there is such a lessened problem of gun issues in the UK because there has never been as easy an access to firearms there as here. After reading your previous post, I had no idea it was so hard to get a gun in the UK. It's only been recent in the US that a prospective buyer must have a waiting period. And there are just as many guns that can be bought on the street as people who want them.

Wild Bill

So, are there many unlawful guns in the UK? It's a touchy subject over here, as the right to own a fun is among the first set to paper in this country an no one wants to start giving up freedoms. That being the case, almost anyone can buy one. Because of that supply, there seems to be an endless supply of illegal guns as well. I'm wondering if there is such a lessened problem of gun issues in the UK because there has never been as easy an access to firearms there as here. After reading your previous post, I had no idea it was so hard to get a gun in the UK. It's only been recent in the US that a prospective buyer must have a waiting period. And there are just as many guns that can be bought on the street as people who want them.
Illegal guns are part of the problem, but there are also many loop holes in getting a gun legally in the U.S. For example in some states you do have to go on a waiting list for a handgun, but you can buy a rifle almost the same day. It has something to do with concealment laws and the fact that you can't conceal a rifle as easily as you can conceal a handgun. I had no idea that the gun laws were so strict in the U.K.

jason

fear no beer
I knew they were tuff in the U.K. Some of the facts may be wrong, but someone sent me an article a year or so ago. Two people with past criminal records broke into a guys house who had a lot of antiques. The guy had a shotgun and shot and killed one of the two people, and I think wounded the other. He then was arrested and sentenced to life in jail for illegally having a gun as all shotguns are illegal. Again, the facts could be wrong, it was a few years ago, or at least a year ago I read about it.

kernow

Jason, I don't recall the case you mentioned, unless it is the one in Norfolk some years ago where a man, a farmer I believe, shot two burglars, killing one and wounding the other. In that case he was sent to prison for manslaughter or murder but it was not about having the shotgun, it was about his intention to harm the intruders, We can only use 'reasonable force' in these circumstances and apparently his actions were aggressive not defencive. Many people thought the verdict was wrong, it doesn't make us very proud of British Justice.
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Norfolk | Timeline: The Tony Martin case

Shotgun's are not illegal in UK, but as was said earlier very strict licencing arrangements must be met in order to own one.

kernow

Criminals can get guns, just as they can get drugs etc, but I don't think there is a gun problem in UK, of the scale of the problems in USA. The Dunblane Massacre led us to significantly tighten our gun laws
Dunblane massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia